This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8479 / 55°50'52"N
Longitude: -3.0739 / 3°4'26"W
OS Eastings: 332856
OS Northings: 662158
OS Grid: NT328621
Mapcode National: GBR 60ZT.9J
Mapcode Global: WH6T7.R8FR
Entry Name: Kirkhill Hotel, Formerly Kirkhill House, Including Railings
Listing Date: 22 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331213
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB788
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian South
Traditional County: Midlothian
18th century; extended Thomas Hamilton, 1828; later alterations. 2-storey and basement, 5-bay Italianate mansion. Harled with predominantly droved dressings. Base course; dividing band courses; eaves course. Strip quoins; projecting chamfered reveals; broad overhanging eaves.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; distyle portico with pierced parapet reached by 3 stone steps to ground floor of penultimate bay to left; panelled timber door with 2-pane fanlight; 2 round-arched windows with projecting cills to 1st floor of recessed tower, 3 blind windows above surmounted by broad eaves and pierced parapet. Square-pane leaded tripartite window with projecting cill to centre bay of ground floor; window to flanking bay to right; bay to outer right advanced with window to ground and 1st floors; lying-pane window to ground floor of bay to outer left. Basement reached by flight of stone steps to right of doorway, regular fenestration to 3 bays to right, remainder blank. Regular fenestration to 1st floor.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay. Timber door to centre bay at ground floor, flanked to left by blind window; brick lean-to to between centre and left bays of ground floor; modern iron stair leads to timber door to centre bay of 1st floor; 3 round-arched windows to ground floor of right return, window to basement, bipartite window to 1st floor. Recessed bay to right with blind window to 1st floor.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 5-bay; regular fenestration to basement, ground and 1st floors of 3 bays to left. Gabled 2-storey advanced penultimate bay to right with regular fenestration to basement and ground floors, 2 round-arched window to recessed tower behind with blind windows surmounted by pierced parapet. Advanced by to outer right with canted 4-light doorway, 2 central panelled panes forming doors reached by stone steps with iron railings; spiral iron stair leading to timber door to 1st floor of left return.
SW ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 4-bay; continuous cast-iron balcony, reached from left, to ground floor; regular fenestration to basement, ground and 1st floors.
Predominantly 12-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended purple-grey slate roof with lead ridges. Harled coped wallhead stacks and stacks around tower all with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
RAILINGS: low ironwork railings to the SE and SW of the hotel.
B Group with Kirkhill Lodge (see separate listing). Thomas Hamilton extended Kirkhill House for John Tod. Sir William Johnston, Lord Provost of Edinburgh, (1848-51) and co-founder of W & A K Johnston the map makers owned Kirkhill House between 1848 and 1888.
Other nearby listed buildings