This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8527 / 55°51'9"N
Longitude: -3.0117 / 3°0'41"W
OS Eastings: 336762
OS Northings: 662628
OS Grid: NT367626
Mapcode National: GBR 70DR.ST
Mapcode Global: WH7VD.Q522
Entry Name: 11 Newlandrig Including Boundary Wall and Letter Box
Listing Date: 22 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331249
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB818
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Mid 18th century. 2 storey, 3 bay, traditional rectangular plan cottage with later 20th century additions to rear. Random rubble with polished sandstone dressings.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 2 leaf panelled timber door to centre, with lintel dated "1629"; flanked by windows to outer bays, with small 4 pane timber window between door and bay to outer right; blocked opening between door and bay to outer left; regular fenestration to 1st floor.
NE ELEVATION: stone roofed ingleneuk centred at ground with 6 pane timber window to centre, small window to SE elevation; irregular modern fenestration to outer left and near centre at 1st floor.
SE ELEVATION: not seen 1997.
SW ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining building.
Predominantly 12 pane timber sash and case windows. Red pantiled roof with terracotta ridge; stone skews; cast iron rainwater goods; coped gablehead stacks with circular cans.
INTERIOR: timber panelled and white painted ingleneuk with stone central flue (probably not original) and fireplace; stone arch over window; small ventilation hole below arch to right; small square recesses in left and right walls. Remainder of interior not seen 1997.
BOUNDARY WALL AND POST BOX: random rubble wall with semi circular coping to NE of house; Edward VII (1901-1910) wall letter box Type "C", made by T Allen & Co., London, set in wall.
The village of Newlandrig, which was also known was Newlandtown, was established by James Dewar of Vogrie in 1751. It is was surrounded by moorland, the turf from which was used to roof the houses until the beginning of the 19th century. The date of the ingleneuk has been suggested as circa 1580, and it is also possible that the original building of this period may have been incorporated into the existing 18th century building (when Dewar established the village), the height and width being increased and the flue of the ingleneuk being altered (possibly incorporated into the gable wall). The ingleneuk was converted into a toilet, being closed off from the living area. It has recently been opened up, and the fireplace, flue and original style of fenestration had been restored. Ingleneuks, like this one, were common in the 17th and 18th centuries in Scotland, although the earliest known example dates from the 16th century at Lochend House, Restalrig (Lothian). They were usually recessed from a larger room, providing enough space for a warm seating area around the fire. They may have emerged to decrease the risk of fire, (being an enclosed area away from the main rooms) although it has also been suggested that they were a vernacular version of the medieval kitchen fireplaces of Scottish tower houses. Their large dimensions allowed the fast removal of smoke, with a slow draught which extinguished sparks before they left the tall flue. Small windows in the back and/or sides provided light (and a view), and the interiors were sometimes also painted white to reflect the light of the fire so sitters could see to spin, sew etc. The 1629 date on the lintel bears no relation to the house itself, but is a later addition by the present owner.
Other nearby listed buildings