History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Arrochar Parish Church

A Category B Listed Building in Arrochar, Argyll and Bute

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1948 / 56°11'41"N

Longitude: -4.748 / 4°44'52"W

OS Eastings: 229591

OS Northings: 703646

OS Grid: NN295036

Mapcode National: GBR 0D.FMBH

Mapcode Global: WH2L5.1K99

Entry Name: Arrochar Parish Church

Listing Date: 8 September 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331258

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB826

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Arrochar

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Lomond North

Parish: Arrochar

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Find accommodation in
Arrochar

Description

1847. Tudor Gothic hall church with tower. Cement render with polished stone margins and dressings. Pointed-arch windows; chamfered reveals; hoodmoulds; base course; battered ashlar angle buttresses; saw-tooth coping; moulded skewputts. Tall gabled and crocketted pinnacles.

W ELEVATION: 3-stage entrance tower capped by pinnacled, battlemented parapet advanced at centre. Ashlar ground floor, pointed arch, panelled 2-leaf door at centre; roll-moulded and chamfered surround. Tall window above, leaded with ashlar mullion and transoms; upper part blocked. Tripartite louvered opening at belfry to W, hoodmould; similarly detailed bipartites on returns. Stepped corbelled battlemented parapet, corner pinnacles. Advanced lower porch bays flanking tower, lancets, blocking course. Gable behind with corner buttresses, pinnacles.

S ELEVATION: 4 lancets symmetrically disposed; Y-tracery, timber mullions, centre pair with timber transom.

E ELEVATION: broad gable, 2 broad lancets symmetrically disposed. Lower vestry block at ground, door at corner, Y-traceried windows.

Leaded and stained glass windows. Slate roof.

INTERIOR:

GRAVEYARD: 19th century with some interesting grave monuments, Celtic cross, urn memorials.

BOUNDARY WALL: low rubble walls with semicircular coping; railings on side wall of graveyard.

Statement of Interest

The church was built in 1847 to replace the old Parish church, which is standing but ruined at N side of church. The old church is listed separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.