This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1973 / 56°11'50"N
Longitude: -4.7471 / 4°44'49"W
OS Eastings: 229660
OS Northings: 703921
OS Grid: NN296039
Mapcode National: GBR 0D.FFK8
Mapcode Global: WH2L5.1HRD
Entry Name: Arrochar, Claymore Hotel (Former Inverioch or Arrochar House (Including Gatepiers)
Listing Date: 8 September 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331261
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB829
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Lomond North
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority.
Later 19th century, 2-storey and attic, 5-bay, rectangular-plan house with rear jambs, added to existing circa 1780 rectangular-plan house at rear. Stugged, squared and snecked honey-coloured sandstone; polished stone margins and dressings; string course; base course; eaves band; stugged quoins; wooden eaves band on paired timber consoles; shallow bargeboards; hoodmoulds. Later 18th century house, painted stucco with ashlar margins and dressings; eaves; quoin strips.
W (entrance) elevation: 3-bay, symmetrical front. Gabled bay slightly advanced at centre, tripartite door at centre, plate glass rectangular fanlight, 2-leaf panelled door, narrow sidelights; 1697 datestone inserted above the door, Gaelic inscription underneath relating to the McFarlanes; stepped hoodmould over. 2 windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor; attic gablehead carried on corbel course; window at centre with hoodmould, floreate octagonal wreath directly above. Flanking symmetrical bays; shallow canted windows at ground, 2 windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor each side; 2 gabled dormers symmetrically disposed on either side of gable with pointed arch windows.
N elevation: gable advanced to right, bipartite window at ground, 1st floor, single window in gablehead. Modern single storey advanced wing built into re-entrant angle, obscuring ground floor; single window at 1st floor. Gable of circa 1780 house to outer left, largely obscured by modern single storey, lean-to additions; window at 1st floor to left, small window in gablehead; lower lean-to bay to outer left; window at upper floor. Modern lean-to additions to outer left. Painted stucco with ashlar margins; ashlar coping to skews, scrolled skewputts.
S elevation: gable, canted window at ground; blocking course, bipartite window at 1st floor; window in gablehead, hoodmoulds. Unsympathetic modern single storey wing addition partly obscuring ground floor.
E (rear) elevation: lean-to additions.
Plate glass, 4-pane timber sash and case window on later house; 12-pane timber sash and case window on earlier house at rear. Grey slate roof; lead flashings. Velux rooflights on earlier house at rear.
Interior: cast-iron stair; modernised interior.
E Gates: rendered rubble gatepiers with ashlar pyramidal caps, that to left missing.
The 18th Century house was formerly known as Inverioch or Inveriach and then became Arrochar house in the mid 19th Century. The inscription above the door relates to the McFarlane family who had a castle on Inveruglas Isle in Loch Lomond. The inscription may have been moved from an earlier site. The Game Keeper's Cottage (now Cobbler Cottage) and the former steading on Church Road are listed separately.
Change of Statutory Address, 2010 previoulsy listed as "Arrochar, The Cobbler Hotel with Gatepiers".
Other nearby listed buildings