History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Irvine, Perceton, Perceton House, Former Stables

A Category C Listed Building in Dreghorn, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6317 / 55°37'54"N

Longitude: -4.6161 / 4°36'57"W

OS Eastings: 235405

OS Northings: 640672

OS Grid: NS354406

Mapcode National: GBR 3B.L7P3

Mapcode Global: WH3Q2.2Q41

Entry Name: Irvine, Perceton, Perceton House, Former Stables

Listing Date: 26 February 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331272

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB834

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dreghorn

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Irvine East

Parish: Dreghorn

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Irvine

Description

Late 18th or early 19th century. Predominantly single-storey, with 2-storey range to W, U-plan former stables with wall to NE, forming square-plan courtyard (currently offices, 2012). Rubble, with smooth margins; rendered elevation to SW. Raised margins. Rectangular window and door openings; some segmental-arched openings; some openings filled-in. Piended dormers breaking wallhead to SW. Coped rubble wall to NE with central opening and gatepiers.

INTERIOR: (seen 2012). Comprehensively altered.

Predominantly 6- over 6-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Raised skews. Brick ridge stack.

Statement of Interest

This classical former stable is a good example of a late 18th or possibly 19th century square-plan courtyard, which is situated close to its associated Perceton House (see separate list description). The stables have been internally altered to provide office accommodation, storage and a social club, but they retain their original plan-form and roofline.

Perceton House dates from around 1770 and was built by William Macredie, whose family had acquired the land and previous house in 1720. The original Perceton House was demolished in 1770 when this one was built. The house remained in the family until 1929, when it was bought by the Mitchell family. They then sold it to the Irvine Development Corporation in 1968. It is likely that the stables were built in 1770 together with the current Perceton House.

List description updated, 2013.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.