This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7502 / 55°45'0"N
Longitude: -4.6342 / 4°38'3"W
OS Eastings: 234767
OS Northings: 653903
OS Grid: NS347539
Mapcode National: GBR 39.BPLK
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.SQFP
Entry Name: 32 Eglinton Street, Bank of Scotland
Listing Date: 2 December 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331331
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB886
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Later 19th century. 2 storey and attic, 5-bay Italianate provincial bank incorporating former bank agent's house. Central round-arched door recessed behind rusticated, keyblocked doorpiece with cornice and anthemion acroteria; flanking pilastered bipartite windows with acroteria to cornices. 1st floor architraved windows with decorative luggs. Outer rusticated pilasters supporting cornice and panelled parapet. 3 gabled dormers. Base course; ground and 1st floor floor cill courses. Polished buff ashlar.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bays, 2 storeys, attic and basement; canted bay to L at basement and elevated ground floors.
Timber plate glass sash and case windows; timber sash and case lying pane glazing and plate glass 4-pane windows to rear. Grey slates. Rendered end stacks (probably replacements).
INTERIOR: modern bank interior to ground L. Former bank agent's house on 1st floor entered through vestibule to ground R with part-glazed timber panelled door; dentilled cornices with decorative consoles; curved stair with cast-iron balustrade and mahogany handrail; ceiling rose to principal front room; timber panelled doors.
An imposing building on Eglinton Street, the Bank of Scotland is still in use as such. The bank agent's accommodation on the first floor is typical of the period and reflects the importance of the agent's position and the need to be in close proximity to the bank.
A similar example for the Bank of Scotland is in Stewarton (separately listed) and this style of bank building is found throughout the country. David Walker writes that the Bank of Scotland commissioned Charles Kinnear from 1858 to design their branch offices. This and the Stewarton example are probably by Kinnear, in the typical but fairly plain palazzo style. Peddie and Kinnear are known to have designed the 'generously eavesed palazzo' Royal Bank of Scotland branch office of 1857 also in Stewarton (Close p165).
Other nearby listed buildings