This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7196 / 55°43'10"N
Longitude: -4.6193 / 4°37'9"W
OS Eastings: 235571
OS Northings: 650462
OS Grid: NS355504
Mapcode National: GBR 3B.DLZ7
Mapcode Global: WH3PP.0HLM
Entry Name: Drumbuie Farm
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331343
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB899
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Dalry and West Kilbride
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1736, rebuilt 1843 (dated), with 20th century additions. South-facing linear development set at right angles to road; 2-storey 2-bay crowstep-gabled house to L; single storey and attic 3-bay range to centre with sawtooth skews, later glazed porch (2000) and reset stone tablet inscribed 'Built by Hugh Patrick in 1736, rebuilt by James Patrick in 1843' set to R above door; single storey and attic 5-bay former byre with hayloft to R, sawtooth skews, blocked opening to upper gable; circa 1930 single storey range to rear of byre at right angles; rubble range circa 1880 at right angles to outer L with truncated roof, 2 cart openings to front, blocked slit vents and reset marriage lintel 'JP IS 1723' to rear (see Notes). Harled (later 20th century replacing earlier harl); painted dressed margins to main group.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: brick-built single storey 4-bay lean-to against rear of central range; 19th century piend-roofed advanced wing to R (to rear of 2-storey crowstepped house) with canted bay window; 3-bay brick range at right angles to L, blocked opening to gable end.
Timber sash and case plate glass glazing. Greyish-blue slates laid in diminishing courses; stone ridge to centre range and byre to R; gable stacks with variety of clay cans; corrugated-iron roof to altered rubble range. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: mainly late 19th and 20th century. Ground floor in 1736 house with late 19th century timber chimneypiece with red tiled slips and copper hood; glazed timber press cupboard to L. To rear late 19th century timber chimneypiece with cast-iron insert; dado, picture rail and cornice.
The lands of Drumbuie were originally feued by Hugh, Earl of Eglinton in 1663 to four individuals: Robert Burns, miller at Hobkin Mill, the lands at Gatend; Hugh Kerr of Crummock, lands at Drumbuie (later exchanged in 1665 for Gatend); Robert Patrick of Waterside, lands called Drumbuie; and Thomas Glen of Shots, the land called Shots (Dobie p125). John Patrick, youngest son of Robert Patrick, inherited this part of the lands in the late 17th century. In 1710 John's son Robert in turn inherited the lands from him and then Robert's younger brother Hugh acquired the lands in 1730. In 1802 Captain Patrick inherited the lands and they were passed down through the Patrick family till at least the mid 19th century. The New Statistical Account of 1839 states that 'Drumbowie' is still in the ownership of Captain James Patrick and it is presumably he who is referred to on the plaque. The Biggarts of Bridgend (Dalry) and Highgate (Beith) acquired the lands at the adjacent Drumbuie House (dating from 1702, separately listed) some time into the 18th century.
Drumbuie Farm and Drumbuie House, together with their associated outbuildings, make an important and rare group of early vernacular buildings in Beith parish. Inevitable alterations have occurred but they are largely evolutionary and do not affect the inherent character too much. The surface finish to the buildings is thick modern harl (probably cement) however the former byre to the right is whitewashed and the range at right angles remains lime pointed. The crowstepped house would originally have been thatched. The byre at right angles to the 2-storey house was known to have crowstepped gables but these were unfortunately removed during the mid 20th century. This range is not early however as it does not appear on the 1st edition OS map of 1858 but is first shown on the 2nd edition of 1897. The incorporated marriage lintel of 1723 must therefore indicate an earlier building long since demolished; the initials refer most likely to John Patrick and his wife.
Other nearby listed buildings