This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7562 / 55°45'22"N
Longitude: -4.6207 / 4°37'14"W
OS Eastings: 235638
OS Northings: 654541
OS Grid: NS356545
Mapcode National: GBR 3B.B6NS
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.ZLT1
Entry Name: Threepwood Road, the Courtyard, (Former Grangehill Stables and Kennels)
Listing Date: 2 December 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331347
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB903
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Dalry and West Kilbride
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1868 (dated). Courtyard stables with classical details; converted to dwelling later 20th century. Single storey side elevations with lofts. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone; dressed ashlar margins.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-centred rusticated carriage arch (now blocked, keystone dated 1868) within broad entablatured surround, pediment over; flanking bays with moulded string course; outer gabled bays with 2 round-arched keyblocked windows to ground, 1 to 1st floor; paired apex stacks. Corniced eaves course.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: central gable with 3-centred carriage arch; 3 windows to L, 2 windows and 1 blocked opening to R.
INNER COURTYARD: central gable to SE with clock and weather vane, 3-centred carriage arch below; flanking carriage arches (later doors). Carriage arch to NW (now glazed); flanking later 20th century canted bays, dormers breaking eaves above. Irregular arrangement of windows and doors to other elevations. Monoblocked courtyard.
Later 20th century timber and UPVC glazing. Graded grey slates; some terracotta ridge tiles. Coped ashlar ridge and apex stacks; moulded classical-style square cans.
INTERIOR: some stabling survives. Stalls divided by decorative cast iron diaper pattern grilles; cast-iron stall gates (made in Belfast).
Grangehill is one the principal estates in Beith. First mentioned in 1557 as being in the ownership of William Connel, it was inherited by John Fulton in 1785 on the death of his uncle, Robert Fulton, to whom it had come through marriage. Shortly after this date he built the classical villa that stands today (somewhat disguised beneath later alterations of circa 1900 and earlier 20th century). In 1822 the estate was sold to Isaac Legg of Portsmouth. In 1858 it was then sold to William Patrick of Roughwood and Woodside. He was succeeded in 1861 by his grand nephew John Gavin Fullarton Patrick who presumably had the stables built.
Other nearby listed buildings