This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.75 / 55°44'59"N
Longitude: -4.6339 / 4°38'1"W
OS Eastings: 234785
OS Northings: 653874
OS Grid: NS347538
Mapcode National: GBR 39.BX7R
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.SQKW
Entry Name: 25-31 (Odd Nos) Eglinton Street, Former Post Office
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331354
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB911
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1897, built for Post Office. Tenement of 2 storeys, 5 bays with offices and flats above. Good shopfront to ground with pilasters dividing 9 bays; timber fascia and dentilled cornice above; timber panelled 2-leaf doors to centre L and R. 3 bipartites to 1st floor with outer shallow-curved 3-light bays; central corniced wallhead stacks with arch dated '1897' framing painted Royal coat-of-arms. Base course; moulded eaves cornice. Painted ground floor; polished ashlar 1st floor; rubble to rear.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 storeys with later brick built lean-to at rear; rubble single storey wing to rear L with slated monopitched roof. Irregular fenestration.
INTERIOR: barley-twist cast-iron balustrade with timber handrail to common close; cream tiled dado with brown foliate band; timber panelled doors to 1st floor room with decorative cornice. Small original mahogany chimneypiece to ground in timber v-groove boarded room to front.
Plate glass shop windows in timber surrounds; timber sash and case plate glass windows to 1st floor. Grey slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Built for the Post Office, the building is now (2003) used for sorting mail only.
Other nearby listed buildings