This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7499 / 55°44'59"N
Longitude: -4.6346 / 4°38'4"W
OS Eastings: 234739
OS Northings: 653868
OS Grid: NS347538
Mapcode National: GBR 39.BX19
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.SQ7X
Entry Name: 43 Eglinton Street
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331360
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB915
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Late 18th century, additions to rear circa 1910. 2-storey, 3-bay house; modern shopfront to L with plate glass window. Central original timber panelled door with letterbox fanlight in late 19th century chamfered surround; window to ground R, 3 windows to 1st floor. Small, central pediment with stack at apex (no cans). Painted render, raised painted window margins; eaves course and moulded eaves cornice.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: large 2-storey red brick additions.
UPVC replacing timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; white glazed brick end stack to R; clay cans.
INTERIOR: predominantly modernised; original chimneypiece to ground floor; turnpike stair.
This is a solid, typical example of its type although the present (2003) oversized shop signage is detrimental to the façade. The pediment with stack is a feature of many late 18th to early 19th century houses in the town, though many have now lost their stacks. These provide interest to the rooflines of the buildings in Eglinton Street, the grandest street in the town with many buildings dating from Beith's first period of prosperity brought about mainly by the textile industry and industries relating to the production of leather, tobacco, corn and alcohol. The title deeds suggest the date of purchase of the plot to be between 1770 and 1780. The property was converted to a hotel circa 1910 when the addition to the rear was constructed. The owner hopes to take part in the Reinstatement of Architectural Details scheme and install timber sash and case 12-pane windows (2003).
Other nearby listed buildings