This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7519 / 55°45'6"N
Longitude: -4.6314 / 4°37'52"W
OS Eastings: 234951
OS Northings: 654088
OS Grid: NS349540
Mapcode National: GBR 39.BQ6Z
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.TPRC
Entry Name: 57-61 (Odd Nos) Main Street
Listing Date: 2 December 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331377
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB932
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Early 19th century and late 19th century. Nos 57 and 59: 2 storeys, 3 bays to Main Street; 2 doors to ground plus shop window to L; 3 windows to 1st floor, paired at L. Painted stucco with raised and painted margins; eaves course and cornice. No 61: corner block; 3 bays with curved angle at corner and curved return elevations to King's Road. Enlarged shop windows; 3 windows to 1st floor. Lightly stugged ashlar with raised margins; eaves course and cornice.
Timber sash and case windows to 1st floor (plate glass to Nos 57 and 59, lying pane to 2 windows of No 61). Grey slates; piend roof to No 61; stone ridge.
INTERIOR: No 59: 1st floor room and kitchen to front ; 2 bed recesses; cupboard with sink and later decorative tiled splashback; chimneypiece.
On a prominent corner site at the north east entrance from Wilson Street to Main Street, the building terminates the street with its return elevation and responds to that position with corner details. A painted sign on the stonework reads 'To LARGS' with an arrow pointing in the direction of King's Road to the coastal town; 'MAIN STREET' is painted on the south elevation. King's Road, formerly New Road, was built between 1858 and 1897 according to map evidence. This road sliced through Main Street at the junction with Wilson Street and the need arose to build a corner block onto the existing building. Its construction is in a similar style to the existing building at Nos 57 and 59 but it was never harled, in typical late 19th century fashion. Accessed via the common close, the first floor flat of No 59 is remarkably intact. It consists of a small room and kitchen, with a bed recess in each room. In the main room there is a large chimneypiece with bed recess adjacent for warmth, and a small cupboard serving as the 'kitchen' with a concealed sink and storage below.
Other nearby listed buildings