This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7499 / 55°44'59"N
Longitude: -4.6331 / 4°37'59"W
OS Eastings: 234836
OS Northings: 653860
OS Grid: NS348538
Mapcode National: GBR 39.BXG7
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.SQZY
Entry Name: 12 the Strand, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331382
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB936
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1830. 2-storey and basement 3-bay classical villa with Grecian details. On plinth, outer pilasters supporting entablature. Central recessed doorpiece at head of 8 stone steps with Doric columns in antis and flanking pilasters supporting dentilled cornice. Moulded, lugged architrave; timber panelled door with 6-pane letterbox fanlight above. Inner vestibule with timber part-glazed door and surround, circa 1890. Moulded architraves with rosettes and dentilled cornices to ground floor windows; moulded architraves to 1st floor windows. Honey coloured ashlar sandstone with vermiculated rustication to basement; harled rear and E gable with raised sandstone margins; W gable rubble (harl removed) with raised margins.
Timber sash and case 12-pane glazing throughout. Grey slates; flat skews; corniced ashlar gable stacks.
BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble walls to W enclosing ground on 3 sides; roughly hewn copes and modern flat coping. Later railings.
INTERIOR: alterations circa 1890; modern alterations. Original timber panelled doors, shutters and window embrasures. Hall: bracketed Italianate arch; plain cornice and timber panelled doors. 1st floor: later timber boarding to dado; later picure rail and moulded foliate cornice.
Situated in a prominent elevated position in The Strand, No 12 looks down to Eglinton Street and the centre of Beith. Its design is comparable to Taynish, 4 Barrmill Road (separately listed), and to other classical villas in Eglinton Street with outer pilasters such as those at Nos 44, 62, 64, 72 and 76 (all separately listed). The building was the subject of a restoration programme in the 1980s and is the premises of Smith Brothers, Builders.
Other nearby listed buildings