This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7501 / 55°45'0"N
Longitude: -4.6335 / 4°38'0"W
OS Eastings: 234812
OS Northings: 653893
OS Grid: NS348538
Mapcode National: GBR 39.BPS2
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.SQSQ
Entry Name: 2 the Strand, Former Townhouse
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331383
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB937
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1817, with alterations to ground floor circa 1900. 2-storey classical hall on prominent corner site; 3 bays to Strand with outer pilasters supporting pedimented gable surmounted by round-arched bellcote capped with ogival-domed roof and weathervane; 4 bays to Eglinton Street with outer pilasters supporting cornice and blocking course. Segmental-headed ground floor openings; entrance to centre on Strand, to outer L with decorative fanlight to Eglinton Street; moulded 1st floor continuous cill course and architraved windows. Lunette with painted town arms to typanum. Painted sandstone ashlar.
Timber sash and case 12-pane glazing to 1st floor; plate glass windows to ground. Grey slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: ground floor with timber boarded interior; timber Art Nouveau chimneypiece and overmantel; stair with turned timber balustrade and etched blue and red-bordered window; 1st floor principal apartment (public meeting hall) with original timber panelled doors in reeded Regency architraves; dado; cornice.
B group with 9 Eglinton Street. Now in use as the Post Office (2003). Situated in the centre of Beith, the townhouse is said to have been constructed on the site of a 17th century tolbooth. It was built by public subscription and owned by subscribers until 1838. The ground floor was originally two shops and the income from the rents was used for public purposes. The hall above was used for judiciary purposes (a small cell for criminals was on the ground floor), public meetings and also as a newspaper reading room, as was frequently the practice in the early 19th century. The bell was donated by George Shedden of London, in 1823, and cast by Thomas Mears (RCAHMS p46).
Other nearby listed buildings