History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2 the Strand, Former Townhouse

A Category B Listed Building in Beith, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7501 / 55°45'0"N

Longitude: -4.6335 / 4°38'0"W

OS Eastings: 234812

OS Northings: 653893

OS Grid: NS348538

Mapcode National: GBR 39.BPS2

Mapcode Global: WH2NB.SQSQ

Entry Name: 2 the Strand, Former Townhouse

Listing Date: 14 April 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331383

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB937

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Beith

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Beith

Description

1817, with alterations to ground floor circa 1900. 2-storey classical hall on prominent corner site; 3 bays to Strand with outer pilasters supporting pedimented gable surmounted by round-arched bellcote capped with ogival-domed roof and weathervane; 4 bays to Eglinton Street with outer pilasters supporting cornice and blocking course. Segmental-headed ground floor openings; entrance to centre on Strand, to outer L with decorative fanlight to Eglinton Street; moulded 1st floor continuous cill course and architraved windows. Lunette with painted town arms to typanum. Painted sandstone ashlar.

Timber sash and case 12-pane glazing to 1st floor; plate glass windows to ground. Grey slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: ground floor with timber boarded interior; timber Art Nouveau chimneypiece and overmantel; stair with turned timber balustrade and etched blue and red-bordered window; 1st floor principal apartment (public meeting hall) with original timber panelled doors in reeded Regency architraves; dado; cornice.

Statement of Interest

B group with 9 Eglinton Street. Now in use as the Post Office (2003). Situated in the centre of Beith, the townhouse is said to have been constructed on the site of a 17th century tolbooth. It was built by public subscription and owned by subscribers until 1838. The ground floor was originally two shops and the income from the rents was used for public purposes. The hall above was used for judiciary purposes (a small cell for criminals was on the ground floor), public meetings and also as a newspaper reading room, as was frequently the practice in the early 19th century. The bell was donated by George Shedden of London, in 1823, and cast by Thomas Mears (RCAHMS p46).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.