History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Woodside South Lodge

A Category C Listed Building in Beith, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7593 / 55°45'33"N

Longitude: -4.639 / 4°38'20"W

OS Eastings: 234504

OS Northings: 654930

OS Grid: NS345549

Mapcode National: GBR 39.B2H8

Mapcode Global: WH2NB.QH4N

Entry Name: Woodside South Lodge

Listing Date: 2 December 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331389

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB944

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Beith

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Beith

Description

Mid 19th century, sympathetically extended later 20th century. Single storey, asymmetrical gabled lodge with Gothic detailing; pointed arched openings; square-headed hoodmoulds to windows and gable bipartites, that to NE blocked; sawtooth skews. Enclosed entrance porch in re-entrant angle to NW with timber panelled door, window to return; canted quadripartite bay window to R with dummy slit window above. Extended to SE incorporating original sawtooth skews to gable, original single and bipartite windows to SW elevation. Rendered with ashlar margins.

INTERIOR: not seen (2003). No original features remaining.

Timber sash and case windows; timber casement windows. Grey slates; paired hexagonal ashlar ridge stacks (no cans).

Statement of Interest

Woodside, a historically and architecturally important estate, was the home of the Ralstoun family from 1551 until the late 18th century. During the 19th century the estate was owned by the Cochran-Patricks, a wealthy and well-connected Ayrshire family. Woodside House (separately listed) dates from 1551 but was remodelled in the mid 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. In the late 19th century Charles S S Johnston carried out extensive architectural works, giving a definite Baronial appearance.

Woodside South Lodge and North Lodge (separately listed) are most likely contemporary with each other and date from the mid 19th century. A period of expansion occurred at Woodside in 1848 when the house was extended to the rear for William Cochran-Patrick (1812-1858). West Woodside (formerly the stables, separately listed) is later, possibly circa 1860, after his great nephew Robert William Cochran-Patrick (1842-1897) inherited the estate.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.