This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7369 / 55°44'12"N
Longitude: -4.55 / 4°32'59"W
OS Eastings: 239997
OS Northings: 652222
OS Grid: NS399522
Mapcode National: GBR 3D.CQQ1
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.22MC
Entry Name: High Orchard
Listing Date: 2 December 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331414
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB959
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Dalry and West Kilbride
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1833 (dated skewputts). 2-storey 4-bay dwelling with single storey and loft former barn extension to R; low boundary wall to road with looped iron railings between square piers. Door to centre L, door to outer R with 'DC' impressed on lintel; 4 evenly spaced windows to 1st floor. Windows with raised ashlar margins; angle margins, eaves course and moulded cornice. Whinstone rubble with droved sandstone tabs; non-traditional late 20th century raised pointing.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 4 bays plus single storey barn to outer L. Semicircular stair towers to outer L and centre R with door to ground R, small window above; bays with window to ground and 1st floors. Harled (20th century) with painted margins.
UPVC windows replacing timber sash and case 4-pane windows (12-pane originally). Grey slates; stone skews; stone ridge; corniced ashlar end and ridge stacks, replacement cans.
INTERIOR: not seen (2003).
Formerly part of the group of agricultural buildings arranged over a large area known as Highgate, High Orchard is a relatively small dwelling with few outbuildings. It may have been occupied by tenant farmers. In the Heritors' Records assessment collection book of 1820-22 the following names are linked with Highgate: Robert Biggart, the land owner residing at Wester Highgate, Mrs Boyd and Mrs Calderwood. It is possible a member of the Calderwood family with the initials DC built this house. The house was built as two dwellings of equal size, perhaps to house two generations of the same family. An original outbuilding survives to the rear of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings