This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5737 / 55°34'25"N
Longitude: -4.5867 / 4°35'12"W
OS Eastings: 237016
OS Northings: 634156
OS Grid: NS370341
Mapcode National: GBR 3C.PVT7
Mapcode Global: WH3QG.J52F
Entry Name: Tarbolton Road, Laurieston Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331439
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB981
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kyle
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Early 19th century with possible late 18th century core. 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with later 20th century porch with 3-bay single storey wing to W with bipartite openings and roughly U-plan range of farm buildings to far West. Random rubble with some black-painted margins, remains of white limewash to outbuildings.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Gable and ridge stacks.
This is a good example of a little externally altered early 19th century farm with associated outbuildings which forms an important part of the streetscape of Dundonald.
Laurieston appears on the 1828 Map by John Thomson, although reference to alterations to a dwelling house at Laurieston in 1823-4 is cited on the Canmore database at the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland, suggesting that it may have earlier origins. It does not appear on the 1775 New Map of Ayrshire by Andrew Armstrong. The widely-spaced bays to the 2-storey house with the upper storey windows set close to the eaves is a form typical of early 19th century farmhouses. The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1854-9 depicts the farm with a similar plan form as present, but with the likely addition of a circular horsemill to the N elevation. It is described in the Ordnance Survey namebooks which accompany these maps as 'A dwelling house with offices. The property of the Earl of Eglinton and occupied by Mrs Faulds.'
The farm differs somewhat in plan form from the more typical U-plan form of other Ayrshire farms, which incorporate both the farmhouse, barns and byres.
Category changed from B to C(S) and list description revised, 2008.
Other nearby listed buildings