History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Auchincruive Estate, Walled Garden, Including Greenhouses and Ancillary Structures

A Category B Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4806 / 55°28'50"N

Longitude: -4.5475 / 4°32'51"W

OS Eastings: 239103

OS Northings: 623704

OS Grid: NS391237

Mapcode National: GBR 3D.WZ56

Mapcode Global: WH3QW.3HSV

Entry Name: Auchincruive Estate, Walled Garden, Including Greenhouses and Ancillary Structures

Listing Date: 29 March 2000

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331458

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB998

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kyle

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Annbank Station

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century. 2-chambered curved terraced walled garden. Coped brick walls, walled corridor from E to W through centre. Lean-to glasshouse to centre of N wall, flanking walls stepped down; depressed-arched sandstone gateway with 2-leaf cast-iron gate to W. Lean-to glasshouse to S of centre wall of S terrace, backing onto brick, sandstone and concrete potting sheds and gardeners accommodation, glasshouses to left and right removed; curved walls stepped down to W, with doorway and brick arch to N terrace; 2-leaf cast-iron gate to SW. Square-plan, single storey and attic lodge to E, flanked by 2-leaf cast-iron gate.

Statement of Interest

A-Group with East Lodge, Gibbsyard, Hanging Garden, Ice House, Oswald Hall, Oswald's Temple, West Lodge and Wilson Hall (see separate listings). The Auchincruive Estate was owned by the Wallace family in the 13th century. There were a variety of owners until the 18th century when James Murray of Broughton sold it to Richard Oswald, entrepreneur and merchant, in 1764. The estate remained in the Oswald family until 1925, when they sold it to a local farmer John M Hannah, who gifted it to the West of Scotland Agricultural College in 1927, under whose ownership it remains (1999). The original formal landscape at Auchincruive dates from the 18th century, however this is now vastly reduced and was remodelled circa 1830, after which the walled garden was probably built. The lodge at the E end is the Head Gardeners House, whilst the range of buildings along the central service corridor were potting sheds and further gardener accommodation. The garden is an interesting mix of formal and informal planting, although much of this has been carried out in the 20th century, only some of the original yew trees remaining.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.