History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mount Oliphant

A Category B Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4212 / 55°25'16"N

Longitude: -4.5988 / 4°35'55"W

OS Eastings: 235620

OS Northings: 617213

OS Grid: NS356172

Mapcode National: GBR 4B.0HFZ

Mapcode Global: WH3R1.BZCY

Entry Name: Mount Oliphant

Listing Date: 14 April 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331459

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB999

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Maybole, North Carrick and Coylton

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Ayr

Description

Mid 18th century; later additions and alterations. Single storey and attic, 3-bay house with adjoining outbuilding wings forming open courtyard. Predominantly whitewashed rubble.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 3-bay house; modern timber door flanked to left by modern window to centre bay of ground floor, windows to flanking bays to left and right; 2 modern rectangular dormers to attic floor. Single bay links to outbuilding wings to left and right, glazed boarded timber door to left, window to right; wings advanced to outer left and right; inside returns not seen 1999.

N ELEVATION: predominantly blank, 3 irregular openings to outer right, skylights to attic floor.

W ELEVATION: not seen 1999.

S ELEVATION: roof swept down to bays to left, remainder not seen 1999.

4-pane timber sash and case windows and modern glazing. Graded grey slate roof with lead ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

Statement of Interest

Mount Oliphant was originally called South High Corton. It was owned by James McDermeit Fergushill, a writer, who sold it to Dr William Fergusson of Doonholm along with its farmland in 1758. Around 1766 Fergusson rented the property and land to William Burnes, farther of Robert Burns. Robert Burns (1759-1796) lived there from the age of 7 to 19, "it familiarised him with 'Alloway Kirk', the 'Banks and Braes o'Bonnie Doon', and other themes of his poetry" (Groome, p76). According to Groome and the NSA the soil was poor, and the family struggled to survive. Despite later alterations, the farm of Mount Oliphant retains its courtyard arrangement.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.