This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9872 / 55°59'13"N
Longitude: -4.5828 / 4°34'57"W
OS Eastings: 238978
OS Northings: 680149
OS Grid: NS389801
Mapcode National: GBR 0L.VVTX
Mapcode Global: WH3NB.KSY0
Entry Name: Alexandria, Gilmour Street, Ewing Gilmour Institute
Listing Date: 14 May 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331584
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1096
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Leven
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Robert Thomson, 1881-4, 1927 extension at rear. 2-storey; asymmetrical, rectangular-plan, Greek institute building with Greek temple detailing. Pink sandstone ashlar. Base course; pilaster mullions;
N (MAIN) ELEVATION: 3-bay asymmetrical front; wide centre bay with door to left, tripartite window to right, flanked by full-height temple fronts. Aediculed shallow surround to recessed porch, Ionic pilasters, triangular pediment, acroterion; inner aediculed door, half-glazed wooden door; inscription in frieze copy of that in right pediment. Tripartite window to right with pilaster divisions. Tall pedimented hall to outer right, 3 tall windows, triangular pediment, acroterian; inscription in pediment "This institute was erected by William Ewing Gilmour of Croftenga in memory of his uncle John Orr Ewing of Levenfield and presented to the inhabitants of the Vale of Leven"; inscription in frieze "founded 28th November 1881". 2-storey pedimented block to outer left, window at centre ground, apron below, pilaster and recesses at window head, frieze above; quadripartite window at upper floor, pediment, acroterian.
E ELEVATION: full-height windows to left, bipartite windows at upper stage.
W ELEVATION: pedimented door to ground right, pediment door at ground right, bipartite and tripartite windows to left; later rendered block to outer left.
Plate glass timber windows with hoppers; plate glass timber sash and case windows at upper stage. Grey slate roof, lead flashings, sandstone wall.
INTERIOR: coved plaster ceiling, decorative cornices, oculus with frieze. Wooden dado, wooden aedicules; scrolled pedimented door. Early 20th century meeting house above, panelled, compartmentalised; leaded windows.
The institute was built to foster the "mental recreation and moral improvement" of the youth of the Vale of Leven. It is now the public library.
Other nearby listed buildings