History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alexandria, Gilmour Street, Masonic Temple

A Category A Listed Building in Bonhill, West Dunbartonshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.987 / 55°59'13"N

Longitude: -4.5852 / 4°35'6"W

OS Eastings: 238829

OS Northings: 680135

OS Grid: NS388801

Mapcode National: GBR 0L.VV6M

Mapcode Global: WH3NB.JST4

Entry Name: Alexandria, Gilmour Street, Masonic Temple

Listing Date: 22 July 1974

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331615

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1135

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bonhill

County: West Dunbartonshire

Electoral Ward: Leven

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Find accommodation in
Alexandria

Description

John Archibald Campbell, dated 1888. Single storey and 2-storey over raised basement; L-plan block of keep and hall with link wall and courtyard. Scots Baronial main block; Arts and Crafts rear wings. Bull-faced pink sandstone, red sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Corbelled balustrade.

S (GILMOUR ST) ELEVATION KEEP: 2-storey, 2-bay, square-plan keep to right. Steps and platt to main door, decorative cast-iron railings, tall cast-iron lamp standards. Scroll pedimented door surround with raised segmental-headed armorial plaque, boarded and studded door, inscribed frieze. Tripartite window to right, relieving arch above, tripartite window at basement. 2 windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, large terracotta plaque at centre, balustrade, bartizans. Advanced chimney breast to outer right at right return, large transomed and mullioned stair window; terracotta plaque at left; corbelled 3-stage, round tower at left return. 3-bay symmetrical range to left, open segmental-headed dormerheads. Gable, balustraded canted bay, window; aediculed window, segmental pediment, dated 1888; broad stack at apex with blind niche at centre.

W (SMOLLETT ST) ELEVATION: 3 bays symmetrically disposed. Blind tripartite basement windows; 3 segmental-headed window at principal floor; 3, large pedimented, transomed and mullioned windows at upper stage, thistle finial.

Leaded multipaned windows; 20-pane over 2-pane sash and case windows. ashlar coping to skews; green slates; replacement concrete tiles. Coped niched apex stacks.

INTERIOR: entrance hall, corridor and large hall have painted panels by Harrington Mann, depicting women?s work and episodes from 18th century songs. Large hall with hammerbeam ceiling, passage gallery; 2 ashlar 16th century-style chimneypieces, one almost full-height, smaller with painted panel.

Statement of Interest

The building was built as the Ewing Gilmour Institute for Working Girls. The painted hall is by Harrington Mann, one of the Glasgow Boys. It is now a Masonic temple.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.