History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Colgrain, Camis Eskan

A Category B Listed Building in Cardross, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9972 / 55°59'50"N

Longitude: -4.6942 / 4°41'39"W

OS Eastings: 232074

OS Northings: 681528

OS Grid: NS320815

Mapcode National: GBR 0G.V1G2

Mapcode Global: WH2M4.VJV9

Entry Name: Colgrain, Camis Eskan

Listing Date: 1 May 1979

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331665

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1169

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cardross

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Helensburgh and Lomond South

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Find accommodation in
Helensburgh

Description

1648 datestone at rear, remodelled 1840 by David Hamilton; substantially remodelled 1915 A N Paterson. 2-storey and attic and 3-storey rectangular-plan house. 1915 ashlar ground floor with painted harl, sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Broad eaves band. Architraved windows (cill excepted) to Paterson remodelling.

W (MAIN) ELEVATION: A N Paterson remodelling 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical block with 3-storey, 3-bay David Hamilton block to outer left. Shallow canted entrance block at centre; balustraded parapet; faceted roof; tall windows at 1st floor, strapwork quoins; centre window casement window in French window manner. Bowed ashlar portico advanced at centre; mutuled entablature on 4 Roman Doric columns; narrow window infilling between outer column and inner pilaster; 4-panelled door with moulded surround. Flanking symmetrical bays; shallow canted ground floor, Gibbsian surround to the windows; low cast-iron parapets and flanking stone urns. 3 windows in Venetian arrangement above. Wooden gabled dormers symmetrically disposed with modern plate glass windows. Taller 3-storey symmetrical block to outer left, harled with ashlar architraves; cill band course to 2nd floor; eaves cornice stepped over upper floor windows; corniced 1st floor windows.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: 7-bay, 2-storey block, 3-bay, 3-storey block to right. 6 bays with 7th blank bay to outer left, lintel band course at 1st floor. Shaped gable to 2-bays at centre, 2 windows flanking bull?s-eye window at attic level; 2 windows at 1st floor level with bull?s-eye window to outer left; 2 windows at ground, that to right formerly door with marriage lintel inscribed "God will provide 16 ID IS 46". 3 bays to right, window enlarged at 1st floor, inner window with modern corbelled balcony; modern lean-to porch at centre ground. Blank bay outer left, formerly window at ground and 1st floor, now blocked. Modern gabled timber dormers symmetrically disposed to outer right and left. David Hamilton block advanced to outer right, ashlar blocking course; door at ground to left. Lower former service block to outer right; windows variously disposed; piend-roofed dormers.

S ELEVATION: 5 bays symmetrically disposed; harled, ashlar margins. Modern door at centre ground; elongated Palladian stair window; pair of flanking symmetrical bays, pediment in blocking course at centre of bays below wallhead stack

N ELEVATION: 5 bays arranged 1-3-1. Eaves cornice stepped over upper windows, corniced 1st floor windows; architraved door to right of centre bays.

6-pane over 9-pane sash and case windows; 8-pane sash and case windows; 2-pane over 4-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roofs, lead flashings. Broad ashlar coped ridge stacks, tall rendered stacks on Paterson block; Hamilton block with grouped octagonal corniced stacks.

COACH HOUSE: former coach house and service block to N. Single storey, former U-plan court opening to E. Stuccoed on W elevation with ashlar margins; rendered at rear with ashlar margins; modern windows. W elevation with triangular pedimented former archway at centre, flanked by blind windows, piend-roofed dormerheads to outer left and right. U-plan to E with piend-roofed dormerheads, modern windows. Octagonal coped wallhead stacks on Hamilton block; tall rendered wallhead stacks on side elevation.

INTERIOR: house now subdivided into apartments. Decorative scheme of 1840 and 1915 surviving. Main hall with wooden wainscot panelling; ashlar chimneypieces, Tudor-arched with trefoil motif; ashlar arch; stonework stugged at rear of hall all 1915. Delicate plasterwork in upper rooms to S; stair with delicately carved barleysugar balusters.

Statement of Interest

Camis Eskan was built by John Dennistoun in 1648 and the house and lands remained in the family until 1836 when ownership was transferred to Colin Campbell of Breadlabane. The lodges, dovecot and walled garden are listed separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.