History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

28, 30, 32 Main Street/Corner Kirk Close

A Category C Listed Building in Dalry and West Kilbride, North Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7083 / 55°42'29"N

Longitude: -4.7213 / 4°43'16"W

OS Eastings: 229120

OS Northings: 649446

OS Grid: NS291494

Mapcode National: GBR 36.FFR4

Mapcode Global: WH2NH.GS0B

Entry Name: 28, 30, 32 Main Street/Corner Kirk Close

Listing Date: 23 December 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331738

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1229

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dalry (N Ayrshire)

County: North Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Dalry and West Kilbride

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Kilbirnie

Description

Dated 1870 on rainwater head. 2-storey and attic corner building. Painted ashlar. Main Street elevation: shop windows and doors placed asymmetrically to ground floor. Canted angle with central light of tripartite in ground and 1st floors. 3 return bays in Kirk Close. Continuous cornice above ground floor. 2 sash windows and 1 dormer on each elevation. Dentilled cornice. 2 corbelled and corniced wallhead stacks. Slate roof, piended at angle. Rectangular, double-faced, white plastic sign above door to Kirk Close with LOUNGE in red lettering.

INTERIOR: mostly intact 1958/60 decorative scheme is in place. Bar counter with slatted vertical timber detailing tapers towards floor. Simple shelved timber gantry. Pair of snugs with sliding timber doors, timber panelling, high level glass panels and bell pushes. Decorative timber and glass panels. Lounge bar with 2 tile fire surrounds with timber mantels. Timber bar counter with mirrored gantry at rear.

Statement of Interest

This is a well-detailed corner building which adds considerable character to the streetscape of the area and in which the public house contains a rare, virtually intact, decorative scheme from the late 1950s. Externally, the dentilled cornice and the canted corner angle are particularly distinguishing features. Internally, the public house was refitted in 1958 and the lounge in 1960 and most of this scheme remains in place, including the room plan, bar counter and gantry, the bell pushes in the two snugs and the mirrored gantry in the lounge. The completeness of the scheme is remarkable and adds significantly to the character of the building.

List description updated as part of the Public Houses Thematic Study 2007-08.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.