History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Strathaven Kirk Street Avondale Old Parish Church and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Avondale and Stonehouse, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6749 / 55°40'29"N

Longitude: -4.0668 / 4°4'0"W

OS Eastings: 270124

OS Northings: 644312

OS Grid: NS701443

Mapcode National: GBR 021T.CK

Mapcode Global: WH4R8.HMNF

Entry Name: Strathaven Kirk Street Avondale Old Parish Church and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 12 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331796

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1277

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Avondale

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Avondale and Stonehouse

Parish: Avondale

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Strathaven

Description

Dated 1772, interior thoroughly renovated 1879, Robert A.
Bryden of Clarke & Bell, architect. Symmmetrical T-plan
church with 5-stage tower on long north west elevation, later
additions flanking tower and at rear. Body of church harled,
with ashlar dressings and rusticated quoins; tower and
flanking additions stugged ashlar with rusticated quoins; 3rd
& 4th stages of tower with angle margins. Original entrance
at base of tower with pilastered jambs and round-arched
head, now blocked and filled with war memorial; oculus
inserted in corniced 2nd stage, 3rd & 4th stages each set
back, small round-arched window in former, clock in square
panel in latter, bellcote above with bell-cast roof; ball
finial and weathervane. Entrance in addition to north east
of tower. Tall round-arched windows in each outer bay of
north west elevation, all windows to the front with
keystones. Remaining elevations with square-headed windows to
ground and gallery levels. Piended slate roof.
Interior: galleries with panelled fronts, and supported on
slender cast-iron columns. Pulpit has pilastered round-headed
niche with shell hood and is flanked by organ pipes in
pilastered cases. Panelled ceiling. Some leaded glass panels.

Statement of Interest

In ecclesiastical use.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.