History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dirleton Village, Manse Road, the Old Manse

A Category B Listed Building in Dirleton, East Lothian

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.046 / 56°2'45"N

Longitude: -2.7822 / 2°46'56"W

OS Eastings: 351368

OS Northings: 683959

OS Grid: NT513839

Mapcode National: GBR 2R.R4VS

Mapcode Global: WH7TK.79CD

Entry Name: Dirleton Village, Manse Road, the Old Manse

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 331873

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1342

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dirleton

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
Gullane

Description

Earlier to mid 18th century altered in earlier 19th
century, 7-bay almost symmetrical 2-storey house with
single storey cottage and outbuilding adjoining, raised
and embellished in earlier 19th century. Random rubble
with droved ashlar dressings and chamfered arrises to
most openings.
E ELEVATION: former centre window bipartite. Gabled
full-height porches flanking with doorways to E side of
left porch, to N side of right porch. Partly harled above
ground with openings to E and N at 1st floor. Narrow
slits to gableheads, gablet skews and skewputts with
finials. 2 outer bays flanking each side, intercepted to
left by single storey, earlier 19th century cottage at
right angles, adjoined to right by porch linking with
gabled single bay outbuilding. Further gabled outbuilding
recessed and adjoining to right, converted as garage. 3
wallhead dormers to main house gabled and finialled to
centre and outer bays.
SINGLE STOREY COTTAGE: tripartite, stone mullioned light to
E elevation, gabled as above. 3 openings to N side,
1 blind. S side with gabled porch, entered from E.
W ELEVATION: irregular openings, some enlarged. 3
piend-roofed slate-hung dormers, smallest at centre.
N AND S GABLES: projecting and battered stacks and
adjoining single storey buildings (as above).
Variety of small pane glazing to sash and case windows.
Straight skews. Coped stacks with linked diamond ashlar
stacks above. Slated roof.
Walled garden to W with high, random rubble, rubble
coped wall.

Statement of Interest

1633 date stone above left porch is erroneous recent

addition. Served as manse until 1825 when poor condition

prompted new building. Dormers and porch form echo that of

Castle Inn to left, possibly added to old manse circa 1825

and possibly by William Burn who worked on the Inn. Raised

masonry evidence below eaves to W.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.