This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0349 / 56°2'5"N
Longitude: -2.8305 / 2°49'49"W
OS Eastings: 348350
OS Northings: 682760
OS Grid: NT483827
Mapcode National: GBR 2Q.RS1B
Mapcode Global: WH7TJ.HKDX
Entry Name: Gullane, Main Street, Parish Church Hall
Listing Date: 7 December 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331917
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1363
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal
Traditional County: East Lothian
Sydney Mitchell, 1908. Extensive enlargement to late
19th century church by addition of massive, squat tower
and alterations to existing building. Squared and
snecked, pink sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings.
Chamfered arrises to openings.
N ELEVATION: gable of original church will tall pointed
arch, roll-moulded centre door and window bay.
Chamfered door surround with ogee detailed lintel; blind
panel above arcaded lintel. Tripartite, pointed arched,
cusped and loop traceried window above, stepped over by
string course, bearing corbel at the point. Recessed,
flat-roofed porchway flanking gable to left. Double
doorway with decoratively chamfered lintel.
S ELEVATION: advanced gable at centre and flanking
pentice roofed bays. Small tripartite depressed arched
lights in chamfered ogee surrounds centre, hexagonal
panel above with stair window.
Slit to gablehead with decorative Greek cross finial.
Single lights to aisle bays with ogee lintels. Recessed
bay to left of side chapel. Battered buttress, joining
tower to right.
E ELEVATION: 2-stage, squat tower at centre, 3 round
arched windows at ground with mouchette tracery, 3 ogee
windows above. Advanced porch to right. 2 tripartites
to recessed bays of original church to right. Plain
tripartite above doorway to aisle bay at outer left.
W ELEVATION: advanced gable of side chapel, adjoining
tower with 4-light loop traceried pointed arched window at
centre. 3 ogee windows to upper stage of tower with
ladder of corbels stepping up from left. 2 tripartites to
original church to left. Square lead-pane glazing.
Coped blocking course to tower, stepped at corners.
Slated roofs. Broached hexagonal spire. Louvred
ventilator with slated apron and pyramidal roof on ridge
of earlier church. Fine, wrought-steel crown finial to
spire. Decorative gutter heads.
INTERIOR: nothing of note to earlier church. Many-sided
barrel vault to apse. Trabeated timber ceiling to tower
with decorative. Folk Art, Scandinavian style painting to
beams and decorative details. Broad, low arches to N, E
and W tower walls. Waved chamfering to clerestory
lintels. Decorative stencilling to apse, W A Campbell.
Finely carved timber screen to side bays, Joseph
Armitage. Primitive stained glass to 4-light transept
window, 1909, dedicated to architect's father. 3-light
chancel window to his mother.
Copied rubble retaining wall with simple railings.
Sydney Mitchell made largest contribution to church building
fund, and gave architect's fees free of charge. E Auldjo
Jamieson almost certainly inspired Scandinavian decoration
style for interior, sometime partner of Sydney Mitchell.
Other nearby listed buildings