This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0372 / 56°2'13"N
Longitude: -2.8377 / 2°50'15"W
OS Eastings: 347903
OS Northings: 683020
OS Grid: NT479830
Mapcode National: GBR 2P.RQFH
Mapcode Global: WH7TJ.CJY4
Entry Name: Gullane, Sandy Loan, Purvesholm
Listing Date: 7 December 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331950
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1390
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal
Traditional County: East Lothian
Charles Hay, circa 1890. 2-storey L-plan. Scottish
Renaissance style house with 1st floor breaking eaves.
Squared and snecked rubble ashlar dressings. Raised
keyblocked margins to 1st floor lights. Small pane
glazing to sash and case windows. Lower ridge line to S
N WING: door in ashlar panel by re-entrant angle with S
elevation. Bead and hollow architrave. "Purvesholm"
carved on lintel and swan neck pediment above. Raised
circular panel under eaves. Panelled door with decorative
brass handle. Single bay to right. E gable with
2 grouped 1st floor windows with moulded cornices.
Gablet crowsteps and linked triplet of brick diamond
stacks to wallhead. W gable form as above with round
arched 1st floor window and cast-iron balcony.
N ELEVATION: 5 bay. Door at centre with deeply carved
pediment at head of stone stairway leading from right,
with panelled piers and decorative balustrade. Decorative
heraldic carving to gableheads of 3 1st floor centre
windows. Canted bay at ground to outer left with piend roof.
S WING: depressed arch doorway at centre of E elevation
with hoodmould and panelled door. 2 gabled dormerheads
to 1st floor windows, carved as above. W elevation of
2 bays, recessed from gable of N wing to left.
Piend-roofed garage adjoining house on S gable, added
later circa 1905.
Red tiled roof, deep eaves with slated gables to dormers.
2 leaded segmental pedimented dormers facing S and E
scrolled skewputts to S gable. Moulded and diamond
brick stacks set on rubble bases. Decorative ridge tiles.
INTERIOR: retains high quality original details; fine Scotch
pine wood work panelling and carving to classical
Rubble boundary walls, quadrants and circular gatepiers.
Gently terraced garden.
Alleged authorship by Hay is debatable. Composition and
details closely bear resemblance to works by John Kinross
RSA, such as The Red House, Edinburgh (1884) and Prestondene,
Dalkeith (1889). Carving of interior wood work possibly by
Clow Brothers. Kinross may have given a sketch design,
worked up by Hay or ghosted for this elusive architect.
Commissioned by J S Macdonald.
Other nearby listed buildings