This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8973 / 55°53'50"N
Longitude: -3.0781 / 3°4'41"W
OS Eastings: 332679
OS Northings: 667653
OS Grid: NT326676
Mapcode National: GBR 60Y7.DT
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.P1FD
Entry Name: 19 Lugton Brae Old Parsonage, with Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 22 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332010
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1431
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dalkeith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century, doubled in size in mid 19th century (circa 1843-1852). 2-storey, asymmetrical gabled house. Stugged squared and snecked rubble, N and E elevations painted harl; ashlar dressings. Painted margins to N. Crowstepped gables. Base course to S.
N (LUGTON BRAE) ELEVATION: 9 asymmetric bays (5-1-3). Pilastered and corniced tripartite doorpiece in penultimnate bay to right; panelled door and 3-pane fanlight; window above at 1st floor. Window at ground and 1st floor in bay to right of centre, with small window flanking to right at ground, and in centre bay. Window at ground in bays to outer left and right, and in 2nd bay to left of centre. Window at 1st floor in bay to left of centre, in penultimate bay to left, and in 2nd bay to right of centre.
S ELEVATION: L-plan addition in bays to left, 3-bay single storey earlier wing slightly recessed to right.
3 BAYS TO LEFT: tripartite garden door in advanced and raised gabled bay to right; window at 1st floor. Wallhead stack to left return.
Regularly disposed fenestration in bays to left and centre, moulded dormerheads to windows at 1st floor.
WING TO RIGHT: gabled bay to outer right. Regularly disposed fenestration.
W ELEVATION: window at ground and 1st floor to advanced gabled mid century bay to right. Tripartite window at centre at ground, and window to left and right at 1st floor to harled less steeply pitched gabled bay to left. Rubble wall adjoined to left, with garden door.
E ELEVATION: gable to right; flush panelled door with 3-pane fanlight to left; window to left and right of centre at ground. Single storey wing to left; door to left, window to right; piended dormer window at centre.
Small-pane glazing patterns in sash and case windows, largely 12-pane. Coped ashlar stacks, gablehead, ridge and wallhead. Grey slates. Some original rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: semicircular coped tall rubble wall. 2 pyramidal-capped square gatepiers.
This house was enlarged to serve as the parsonage for St Mary's Episcopal Chapel, which was constructed from 1843-54.
Other nearby listed buildings