History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Douglas Village Douglas Parish Church

A Category B Listed Building in Douglas, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5585 / 55°33'30"N

Longitude: -3.8444 / 3°50'39"W

OS Eastings: 283760

OS Northings: 630967

OS Grid: NS837309

Mapcode National: GBR 14L5.H8

Mapcode Global: WH4RY.XKH4

Entry Name: Douglas Village Douglas Parish Church

Listing Date: 12 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332062

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1456

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Douglas

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Clydesdale South

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Bankend

Description

1781 church, originally rectangular-plan but altered earlier
19th century and 1868, Charles MacGibbon of Edinburgh,
architect; now T-plan. Coursed squared and roughly-droved
rubble with rusticated quoins, additions of stugged ashlar
and rubble. Original church 5 bays, round-headed windows at
lower level, square windows at gallery level. Low 2-bay porch
projects south east from central bay, and flanking windows
altered to single, tall, round-headed windows.
All round-headed doors and windows have pilastered jambs and
keystones. Later rectangular gallery stair projections to
north east and south west with round-headed door with
fanlight, round-headed window in outer face of each,
inscribed datestone over north east door, and rusticated
quoins. Extended earlier 19th century by 2 bays from north
west wall, narrower single bay extension beyond with door.
Eaves course, cornice and piended slate roofs. Galleried
interior and some leaded glass panels.

Statement of Interest

Re-set stone inscribed "Arch. Douglas of Douglas Esq, Patron,

Thos Forest of Springfield Baillie, Mr Wm. MacGibbon,

minister.

The foundation stone of this church laid upon the 29 March

A.D. 1781"

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Proposed belfry designed by Rowand Anderson apparently never

built.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.