History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Barns, Bielside House with Former Windmill

A Category B Listed Building in Dunbar, East Lothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9963 / 55°59'46"N

Longitude: -2.5549 / 2°33'17"W

OS Eastings: 365483

OS Northings: 678292

OS Grid: NT654782

Mapcode National: GBR ND1V.XZN

Mapcode Global: WH8VZ.QJKZ

Entry Name: West Barns, Bielside House with Former Windmill

Listing Date: 19 December 1983

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332088

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1478

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunbar

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Dunbar and East Linton

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
Dunbar

Description

Robert Rowand Anderson, 1866, sizeable extension
consisting 2-storey villa with 4-stage Italianate tower
adjoined to S of earlier 19th century house and 17th
century windmill, converted for domestic use. Roughly
coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, channelled quoins
and raised base eaves and band courses.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, symmetrical. 3 narrower
central bays recessed with balustraded loggia bridging
between advanced outer bays; Ionic columns and ball-
finialled dies. Outer bays with tripartites at ground,
bipartites at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION WITH TOWER: 4-stage tower at centre of
asymmetrical elevation, with triple arcaded lights in
top storey, bracketted cornice and shallow pyramidal
roof; weathervane. Wide full-height canted bay to outer
left bay with 5-lights. 3-storey canted bay immediately
to right of tower, linked to earlier harled brick and
rubble house.
W ELEVATION: decorative gabled conservatory to left of
1866 S wing.
Plate glass glazing pattern to sash and case windows
with some 4-pane; bracketted cills to main windows.
Shallow pitch, slated piend roof; bracketted moulded
coping to ashlar stacks. Decorative gutter heads
retained.
INTERIOR: fine decoration retained, including stone
caryatid chimneypieces, ornate alabaster chimneypiece
with unusual tiles to cheeks, and angle chimneypiece to
Hall. Timber dog-leg stair. Gilded surrounds to pier
glasses; fine painted, Renaissance style wall decoration.
Ornate plasterwork.
WINDMILL: red rubble sandstone, formerly harled, former
grain mill in funnel form. Stone stair spiralling up to
S to doorway in passage linking with earlier house.
Irregular windows and pigeon flight opening with cill at
wallhead. Leaded coping.

Statement of Interest

Italianate style employed in heavy manner by Anderson,

after revival by Cubitt and Osborne House, Isle of

Wight. 2 lodges and former stables; S lodge listed

separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.