History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Archerfield with Pavilion Wings

A Category A Listed Building in Dirleton, East Lothian

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0473 / 56°2'50"N

Longitude: -2.7953 / 2°47'42"W

OS Eastings: 350558

OS Northings: 684114

OS Grid: NT505841

Mapcode National: GBR 2R.R1XJ

Mapcode Global: WH7TK.186C

Entry Name: Archerfield with Pavilion Wings

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332200

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1536

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dirleton

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
Gullane

Description

Classical mansion with complex building chronology
currently (1988) unoccupied and partially gutted; recently
serving as grain store.
Late 17th century, 3-storey classical house on U-plan,
enlarged by addition, circa 1730, of substantial W wing
enclosing the plan. The different dates can be noted by
the differing eaves cornices and masonry; the N and S 3-bay
wings of the original house, ran between stacks to E and
W. In 1790 the canted gable projecting wing was
added to the centre of the E range of the earlier house.
Circa 1800, 2 2-storey, single room additions were placed
in the re-entrant angles formed by the canted projection;
the W wing was extended to N and S by 2-storey single
bay extensions. Random red rubble with ashlar margins
to the earlier house; red ashlar frontage to W wing with
grey ashlar dressings and centre bay.
W ELEVATION: symmetrical circa 1730 Baroque frontage.
Wide canted bay. Doorpiece removed and doorway
enlarged. Raised quoins to centre bay, outer angles and
Gibbsian surrounds to ground floor. Centrepiece with
fluted Ionic pilasters to aedicule window above doorway,
with segmental pediment; consoled cill to 2nd floor
window, flanked by decorative scroll carving and with
richly carved armorial apron; concave oculi with moulded
surrounds above 1st floor windows in splayed bays; blind
arched heads with Keystones to 2nd floor windows, rise
into die parapet. Decorative wrought-iron balcony remaining
on the 1st floor splay to right by Thomas Chalmers. 3 bays to
to each side; pedimented and central segmental 1st floor
windows. Consoled urns abd blank aprons. Blank slightly
recessed 2-storey outer bays (circa 1800).
E ELEVATION: tall 1st floor windows and shallow bracketted
balcony to canted E projection (1790) with eaves cornice
and parapet. Flanking extensions (circa 1800) with
ground and 1st floor windows. Shallow gables with apex
stacks behind, formerly closing to E wing of earlier house.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: almost mirrored elevations. 3
recessed bays to earlier house at centre. 3 piend roofed
dormers at S. Segmentally arched fanlight above door
and window bay off-centre to left of N elevation.
Tripartite windows to 1st floors of advanced 2-storey
outer bays (circa (1800) with 2 ground floor lights to N
bays.
Originally small pane glazing to sash and case windows,
some retained in ruinous state. Moulded coping to broad
ashlar stacks. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: Robert Adam interior work taken out and sold in
mid 1950s. Marble chimneypiece retained in ruinous
state; cantilevered stair remaining. Panelled room with
early stone chimneypiece still intact. Adam cornices
partially retained below remains of coved ceiling brackets.
Segmentally arched openings in N and S extensions to 1st
floor of W wing 2 interesting ceilings with clay tiled
construction revealed with timber strips and metal
strapping possibly a variant of Lord Stanhope's method
of fire proof construction.
PAVILION WINGS: sited to NW and SW of house, originally
linked by coped quadrant walls, since removed U-plan
court before house, 3 less widely spaced bays to W.
Random red rubble with raised margins and quoins to
main ground floor openings. Smaller 1st floor lights
under eaves. U-plans opening to outer direction with 2
segmentally arched fanlights above doorways at centre of N
pavilion; piend roofed outbuildings inserted in S pavilion
court. Broad ashlar stacks set at inner angles. Small pane
glazing to sash and case window originally. Slate piend roof
retained on S pavilion.

Statement of Interest

Later 2-storey farm buildings sited to NW of N pavilion not

included. Square plan piend roofed game larder with ridge

ventilator in grounds to NW Circa 1730 work commissioned by

William Nisbet of Dirleton, whose family continued to own

the house to commission the Adam work. Robert Adam made

drawings for 4 ceilings, and plans for Dining Room, Drawing

Room, Library, Rotunda, Saloon, staircase and balustrade.

Adam added a porch to W entrance, replaced in Victorian years

by pedimented Baroque doorpiece. Plasterwork ornament by

Mr Coney. Grounds around the house formerly landscaped,

currently used as farm lands. 2 gate lodges listed

separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.