History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapelford, St Ninian's Burial Ground, Chapel and Dawson Mausoleum

A Category B Listed Building in Fochabers Lhanbryde, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6255 / 57°37'31"N

Longitude: -3.0217 / 3°1'18"W

OS Eastings: 339076

OS Northings: 859962

OS Grid: NJ390599

Mapcode National: GBR L8XK.LJ8

Mapcode Global: WH7KP.KL9L

Entry Name: Chapelford, St Ninian's Burial Ground, Chapel and Dawson Mausoleum

Listing Date: 24 March 1988

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332209

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1544

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bellie

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Portgordon

Description

Rectangular rubble walled burial ground. Entrance in NE angle

flanked by square ashlar gatepiers with shallow pyramidal

caps and linked by ashlar overthrow with apex cross; pair

cast-iron gates.

Rectangular mortuary chapel (W G Brander, architect, Clochan, Banffshire, 1955), incorporated in E angle of burial ground

wall. Harled, ashlar dressings. Round-headed entrance in

centre W gable with double-leaf plank doors. Crowstepped

gables; cross finial at W apex. Re-set datestone of 1687.

DAWSON MAUSOLEUM: Reginald Fairlie, architect, 1939.

Octagonal; rubble with tooled and polished ashlar dressings;

small gabled projection at E, recessed entrance at W with

roll-moulded projection at E, recessed entrance at W with

roll-moulded, semi-octagonal frame; double-leaf plank doors;

small square-headed lights with lattice-pane glazing in each

face. Piended octagonal graded Banffshire slate roof with

lead apex cross.

17th century and subsequent tomb stones. Also white marble

Celtic memorial cross heavily decorated with interlacing

decoration.

Statement of Interest

Early Roman Catholic church site. Ruined chapel known to have

existed in 1602 and another built in 1687. Presumably the

datestone from this church is that now set in chapel wall.

Desecrated by soldiers in 1728 and abandoned, though the

slates were re-used to re-roof St Ninian's, Tynet in 1787.

White marble Celtic cross commemorates Bishop Nicholson first

Vicar Apostolic of Scotland who died in 1718 and 26 priests

buried within the grave yard.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.