History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fochabers, 4 Duke Street, St Margarets, Rear Walls and Stable

A Category B Listed Building in Fochabers Lhanbryde, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6149 / 57°36'53"N

Longitude: -3.0965 / 3°5'47"W

OS Eastings: 334589

OS Northings: 858853

OS Grid: NJ345588

Mapcode National: GBR L8QL.N6Q

Mapcode Global: WH6JJ.DVPQ

Entry Name: Fochabers, 4 Duke Street, St Margarets, Rear Walls and Stable

Listing Date: 24 March 1988

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332217

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1552

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bellie

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Fochabers

Description

Probably 1838, and probably William Robertson, architect,
incorporating earlier core. 2-storey, 4-bay W facing house.
Modern harl, tooled ashlar dressings. Off-centre hood-moulded
recessed entrance in slightly advanced gabled bay; 1st floor
front windows break wallhead under pronounced gablets; later
painted wooden oriel in 1st floor S gable; ground and 1st
floor windows in N (Castle Street) return elevation. 8-pane
horizontal glazing except in oriel which has 3-pane
casements.
Ashlar base course; rear gabled stairwell; coped end and
shaped rear wallhead stacks; Banffshire slate roof.
REAR WALLS: walled rear enclosure, mainly rubble but with
some brick replacement.
STABLES: William Robertson, probably 1838. Single storey and
loft range, rubble, partially harled. Centre wallhead gable
with window; multi-pane glazing; Banffshire slate roof.

Statement of Interest

St Margaret's is almosts certainly 'the house formerly

occupied by the Episcopal Clergyman in Fochabers' remodelled

in 1838 at cost of $900. It appears to incorporate an earlier

dwelling (which is on 1825 plan of Fochabers); the stable

block does not appear on this 1825 plan and may be the

2-stalled stable, coach-house cow-house' mentioned in

prospectus of circa 1850 issued for sale of property of which

RHP 31774 is undated drawing (probably 1838) by William

Robertson, architect, Elgin.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.