History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fochabers, the Old Manse

A Category B Listed Building in Fochabers Lhanbryde, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.611 / 57°36'39"N

Longitude: -3.098 / 3°5'52"W

OS Eastings: 334496

OS Northings: 858425

OS Grid: NJ344584

Mapcode National: GBR L8QL.TVM

Mapcode Global: WH6JJ.DY0P

Entry Name: Fochabers, the Old Manse

Listing Date: 26 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332257

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1580

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bellie

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Fochabers

Description

1822-3, probably William Robertson, Elgin. S facing house,
2 storeys and attic over raised basement, 3 bays. Harled,
tooled ashlar margins, polished ashlar dressings. Centre
door reached by splayed flight of steps oversailing raised
basement. Pilastered and corniced doorpiece (cornice
damaged), radial fanlight, panelled door with reeded
detailing to panelling.
Symmetrical fenestration both front and back, single windows
to each attic window; 2 later 19th century canted dormers.
12-pane glazing with slender astragals; 2- and 4-pane to
dormers.
Bandcourse between raised basement and ground floor; moulded
copes to panelled end stacks; graded Banffshire slate roof;
stone ridge.
INTERIOR: palmette decoration to cast-iron stair balusters;
corniced ceilings; some beaded panelled doors; reeded door
frames with angle rosettes to lintels.

Statement of Interest

A manse had been built close by the newly sited Bellie church

in 1788 (11 The Square) which reverted to the Duke of

Gordon's estates when the Minister, Rev John Anderson, who

combined the posts of Commissioner to the Duke of Gordon with

his ministry, demitted office as minister in 1819, thus

necessitating the construction of another manse. The site is

that of the glebe 'excambed' from Bellie circa 1780. The

story comes full circle when The Old Manse was sold in 1952

and No 11 The Square purchased in 1959 to serve again as

parish manse.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.