This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.6132 / 57°36'47"N
Longitude: -3.0972 / 3°5'49"W
OS Eastings: 334547
OS Northings: 858663
OS Grid: NJ345586
Mapcode National: GBR L8QL.MYG
Mapcode Global: WH6JJ.DXD1
Entry Name: Fochabers, 42 South Street, South View
Listing Date: 24 March 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332260
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1582
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde
Traditional County: Morayshire
Circa 1830, with slightly later porch and later dormers.
2-storey and attic, 3-bay house. Mixed rubble frontage, red
sandstone rubble flanks, tooled and polished sandstone ashlar
dressings. Centre door masked by later square tooled and
polished ashlar porch with side entrance, front window, angle
pilasters and Greek key pattern frieze below corniced
wallhead. Tall flanking ground floor windows under relieving
arches; 1st floor fenestration linked by cill and
lintel/eaves bands; later 19th century canted dormers in
outer bays. 8-pane glazing to main house front; 2- and 4-pane
elsewhere. Coped panelled end stacks; slate roof.
Low coped front garden wall.
No 42 South Street was the home of Dr Smith who left it,
together with other property in South Street (formerly South
Lane), to the Free Church of Scotland in Fochabers in 1897.
The house is next door to the former Free Church, and his
intention was that it should serve as manse. However, the
decision to re-build the Free Church (the Pringle Church) at
the E end of High Street in 1900, conveniently sited close to
the manse (now The White House) nullified this and the house
was sold round 1900.
Other nearby listed buildings