History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fochabers, 18 High Street, the White Lodge (Former Free Church Manse)

A Category B Listed Building in Fochabers Lhanbryde, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6131 / 57°36'47"N

Longitude: -3.0928 / 3°5'34"W

OS Eastings: 334808

OS Northings: 858648

OS Grid: NJ348586

Mapcode National: GBR L8QL.PYH

Mapcode Global: WH6JJ.GXG3

Entry Name: Fochabers, 18 High Street, the White Lodge (Former Free Church Manse)

Listing Date: 24 March 1988

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332281

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1600

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bellie

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Fochabers

Description

Alexander Tod, 1848-9, fronting earlier school of crica 1830
probably designed by William Robertson. S facing 2-storey,
3-bay house with symmetrical frontage. White harled with
considerable use of contrasting tooled ashlar margins and
dressings. Centre entrance with pilastered doorpiece and
panelled door; flanking shallow projecting ashlar corniced
bipartites; ashlar cill course links 3 gabled 1st floor
windows breaking wallhead with later cast-iron apex finials;
12-pane glazing. End stacks (raised in brick); slate roof;
stone ridge.
CIRCA 1830 REAR WING: single storey, 4-bay. Deep tooled
ashlar basecourse and eaves band. 1 window in E elevation
converted as glazed door; lying pane glazing.
INTERIOR: moulded combed ceiling of former schoolroom
partially revealed in much divided rear wing.

Statement of Interest

About 1830 the Duchess of Gordon built a school for the

children of Fochabers (she later built one connected with the

Episcopal Church), appointing Mr David Dewar, chaplain at

Gordon Castle, schoolmaster. In 1837 he became Minister of

Bellie but 'came out' to join the Free Church in 1843, when

he had to leave the manse. In 1848 the Duke of Gordon leased

the school (superseded by Milne's School, sited opposite, and constructed in 1845-6) to the Free Church for a manse,

provided the alterations were carried out by Alexander Tod,

Builder, Fochabers.

RHP 31775 reveals a pedimented tetrastyle frontage to a

simple rectangular school, with considerable use of polished

ashlar. This ashlar may have been re-used for the dressings

to the frontage of the present house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.