This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.6139 / 57°36'50"N
Longitude: -3.0979 / 3°5'52"W
OS Eastings: 334505
OS Northings: 858743
OS Grid: NJ345587
Mapcode National: GBR L8QL.MM7
Mapcode Global: WH6JJ.DW1H
Entry Name: Fochabers, the Square, Bellie Kirk (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332299
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1616
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde
Traditional County: Morayshire
John Baxter, 1795-8. N facing rectangular 5-bay classical church with pedimented giant Roman Doric tetrastyle portico and steeple. Polished and tooled ashlar sandstone throughout.
Square clock stage rises behind portico with N facing clock face dated 1798, oculus in each remaining face and angle urns; octagonal belfry with louvred or blind segmental-headed openings in each face, facetted spire with 3 diminishing sets of oval lucarnes in alternate facets; copper weathervane with pointers missing.
3 doors within portico with radial fanlights; regular fenestration, the gallery windows shorter than ground floor and some blind in E and W return gables; multi-pane glazing.
5-bay front with pronounced projecting 3-window bowed centre bay; long windows over short blind panels in ground floor.
Piended platform slate roof.
INTERIOR: entrance lobby with mirrored gallery stairs; doorways left and right into church. Galleried interior (?possibly re-furnished by Archibald Simpson, architect, circa 1830), galleries at E and W supported by Greek Doric columns; keystoned detailing to panelled fronts.
Octagonal panelled pulpit on square base supported by stumpy fluted columns and reached by short flight of wooden stairs with simple balustrade. No back-board nor sounding-board.
Seating layout with minor alterations and missing communion tables; coffered detailing to pew ends. Later organ in S bowed bay.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Planned and built as architectural centrepiece of Fochabers by 4th Duke of Gordon. Original layout with centre communion tables, probably removed when building was recast in 1840s and pulpit placed in S bay window. Later alterations reverted to original layout, though present pulpit appears reduced in height.
Other nearby listed buildings