This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.6183 / 57°37'5"N
Longitude: -3.0934 / 3°5'36"W
OS Eastings: 334781
OS Northings: 859229
OS Grid: NJ347592
Mapcode National: GBR L8QL.9NH
Mapcode Global: WH6JJ.GS53
Entry Name: Gordon Castle, Old Fochabers Market Cross, Also Known As the Jougs and the Whipping Post
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332314
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1629
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Fochabers Lhanbryde
Traditional County: Morayshire
Unknown date before 1769. Fine well-preserved ashlar Market Cross in form of Tuscan column, approx 12' high, with shallow square capital. Sited in grounds of Gordon Castle close to N wall of walled garden.
Appearing on the first edition Ordnance Survey map as Old Fochabers Cross with Jougs attached, and now (2007) known locally as 'The Jougs', this unusual early Market Cross stands on the site of Old Fochabers, which Pennant refers to as 'a wretched town, close to the castle'. The fine new town of Fochabers was begun in 1769, and all that remains of the early burgh is the mercat cross and one cottage, both sited within the grounds of Gordon Castle. McKean says that the cottage is thatched and was 'used until recently as the castle fruit store'. The earlier listing of the Market Cross mentions a length of iron chain embedded in the stone work at mid height. This was the 'jougs' and would have been linked to manacles for securing offenders. The columnar style for early market crosses is relatively unusual, and those similarly early examples sketched by Small appear mostly as more slender forms incorporated into rather more elaborate crosses.
Formerly listed at category B as 'Gordon Castle, Market Cross'. Listing category revised and address changed June 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings