This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0348 / 56°2'5"N
Longitude: -3.4809 / 3°28'51"W
OS Eastings: 307824
OS Northings: 683418
OS Grid: NT078834
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.RXMG
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.HLN1
Plus Code: 9C8R2GM9+WM
Entry Name: Broomhall, Limekilns, 9 the Old Orchard Including Outhouse
Listing Date: 31 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332327
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1638
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
18th century; later alterations. Rectangular-plan house; single storey with attic to W section; 2-storeys with attic to E. Harled; dressed stone surround to openings.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bay left section; central replacement plank door; slightly advanced porch; moulded stone doorway and cornice. Carved stone above porch; fluted frieze; carved centrepiece with human head, spade, sickle and rake. Flanking ground floor windows. 2 gabled dormer windows breaking eaves centred above; stugged stone surrounds and coping. Irregularly placed fenestration to right section; 2 ground and 2 1st floor windows. Modern flat-roofed dormer wholly in roof.
W ELEVATION: ground floor window to left.
N ELEVATION: central ground floor window; flanked by single small windows. Replacement 1st floor window to left; small 1st floor window to right.
E ELEVATION: Replacement door to right; attic window above.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
Replacement fenestration; 4-pane timber sash and case windows with horns. Rooflight and 19th century dormer windows to front; rooflight to rear. Pitched roof; fishscale tiles; crowstepped skews to gables and between E and W section of house; moulded skewputts. Gable apex stacks and ridge stack; corniced to right gable and ridge stack; circular cans.
Single storey outhouse situated close to W gable of house. Sandstone rubble; replacement timber double doors to E; blocked door to S; plain gable with chimney to W; window to N. Modern red tiled pitched roof; used as garage.
A-Group with Broomhall; Broomhall Ice-House; Broomhall, Limekilns, 9 The Old Orchard Garden, Broomhall Doocot; Broomhall Policies, Courthill Cottage; Broomhall Policies, East Lodge; Broomhall Policies, Former Brick Works and Broomhall Policies, Hillock.
The house was built by the Stalker family who had garden ground here from the 17th Century and were prominent members of the Society of Gardeners of Dunfermline. The property was bought by the 7th Earl of Elgin from the last of the Stalker family in 1790 and then enlarged and walled. Part of the doocot was then re-erected in the garden.
The 2 sections of the house are built at varying floor levels with a step from the W section of the house down into the E section.
Until the 1960's the E section of the house was used as a stable for a pony or donkey at ground floor and 2 fruit stores above. The remainder of the house was occupied by the Broomhall Estate's Head Gardener. The carved stone above the door was inscribed 'S. KA. 1720' and is said to be a re-used gravestone. See separate List for the doocot situated in the garden of 9 The Old Orchard.
Other nearby listed buildings