History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kinsteary Lodge and Walled Garden

A Category B Listed Building in Auldearn, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5659 / 57°33'57"N

Longitude: -3.7964 / 3°47'47"W

OS Eastings: 292634

OS Northings: 854287

OS Grid: NH926542

Mapcode National: GBR J8ZQ.RP1

Mapcode Global: WH5HF.N3C8

Entry Name: Kinsteary Lodge and Walled Garden

Listing Date: 6 September 1979

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332365

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1663

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Auldearn

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Nairn and Cawdor

Traditional County: Nairnshire

Find accommodation in
Auldearn

Description

House; dated 1792. Single storey and attic, unusual
"cottage" dwelling with 5-bay north facing facade and
U-plan garden court to south. All pinned Kinsteary pink
granite rubble with contrasting tooled ashlar sandstone
dressings. Projecting gabled centre bay with lunette,
apex wrought-iron dated weather vane (pointers missing)
and side entrance. Centre ground floor Venetian window;
similar windows in flanking recessed bays; tripartites
in further recessed outer bays; 2 small piended dormers;
intersecting and multi-pane glazing.
South facing U-plan garden court enclosed east and west
by domestic and office ranges and closed on south side
by low wall with cast-iron railings. North and east
elevations of inner court linked by continuous glazed
lean-to extensions. Corniced ridge and wallhead stacks;
piended slate roof.
Interior; original 6-panelled doors and simple coved
ceilings.
Walled garden; large walled garden, rubble walls with
ashlar copes; brick lined on south and west elevations.

Statement of Interest

Weathervane initialled GC.

Kinsteary lands belonged to Sutherlands of Kingsteary;

sold in later 19th century to Cosmo Gordon of Cluny (ie) (Aberdeenshire), from whom it passed to his brother,

Charles Gordon of Braid (Edinburgh who had property and

trade in Tobago, West Indies

Datestone of 1698 initialled IS (James?) Sutherland at

rear

House gives impression that it was converted from former

(later 19th century) stables.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.