History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lethen House and Front Garden Gate and Railings

A Category B Listed Building in Auldearn, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.544 / 57°32'38"N

Longitude: -3.7769 / 3°46'36"W

OS Eastings: 293741

OS Northings: 851823

OS Grid: NH937518

Mapcode National: GBR K81S.GMV

Mapcode Global: WH5HF.YNN1

Entry Name: Lethen House and Front Garden Gate and Railings

Listing Date: 26 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332367

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1664

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Auldearn

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Nairn and Cawdor

Traditional County: Nairnshire

Find accommodation in
Auldearn

Description

Dated 1788, with later 18th and 19th century additions
and alterations. Pinned rubble, polished ashlar
dressings. Symmetrical 3-storey and attic, 5-bay south
facing front with 2-storey, wide single bay wings at
east and west gables slightly set back from main block
and projecting at rear. Centre door with engaged column
and corniced doorpiece, masked by later porte cochere
with ashlar balustrade. 2 later 19th century canted
dormers. Flanking wings have Venetian windows in ground
and 1st floors and piended platform roofs. Projecting
circular rear stairwell rising 1 storey above wallhead
to terminate in circa 1865 J-shaped flat roof with
ashlar balustrade and terminal ball finials; also
weather-vane. Stairwell link to end wings by later
2-storey flat roofed wings.
Mainly 2-pane glazing; corniced end stacks slate roofs.
Interior; semi-circular stair with cast-iron balustrade
with acanthus decoration. 1st floor drawing room with
circa 1800 simple plaster cornice and marble chimney
piece. Long 1st floor corridor with engaged pilasters
linked by ribbed, round-headed ceiling. Garden gate
piers and railings; pair later 19th century decorative
trellis cast-iron gate piers with decorative pyramidal
finials each terminating with hand clasping bunch of
arrows. Decorative cast-iron pedestrian gate with
spearhead detailing. Flanking low coped rubble walls
with matching spearhead cast-iron railings.

Statement of Interest

Lethen belonged to the Falconer family from 1295, passed

Grant of Freuchy in 1600 and sold to Alexander Brodie

1st of Lethen, 2nd son of Brodie of Brodie Castle (Moray) in

1634. Lethen is still in the ownership of the Brodies of Lethen.

Earlier dwelling stood on or near site of present house.

Dated 1788 and initialled AB for Miss Anne Brodie

(1755-1805) who inherited Lethen from her brother John in

1773 and subsequently built present house and former

west wing.

West wing (1790) and east wing (1865) demolished circa 1970.

Garden gate and railings in front of south elevation

of mansion.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.