History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ardgour House

A Category B Listed Building in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.723 / 56°43'22"N

Longitude: -5.2777 / 5°16'39"W

OS Eastings: 199545

OS Northings: 763836

OS Grid: NM995638

Mapcode National: GBR FBBY.K9L

Mapcode Global: WH1G7.W8ZX

Entry Name: Ardgour House

Listing Date: 20 July 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332395

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1687

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ardgour

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in
Ardgour

Description

1765, reconstructed after fire, 1825. Centre 3-storey, 5-bay symmetrical south front (shell dates from 1765) with 2-storey, wide single bay wings at east and west gables. All harled with polished and tooled ashlar margins and dressings. Centre door with round-headed fanlight and narrow side lights, masked by 1825 balustraded portico supported by monolith Roman Doric columns. Rusticated quoins; moulded eaves cornice.

Blocking course, stepped and raised in centre (1825). Hipped end stacks; piended platform slate roof; projecting rear stairwell.

1825 side wings slightly set back, and extending to rear to form shallow U-plan court, now largely infilled. Corniced tripartites in ground floor of south fronts, wide 3-bay flanks. Tall ridge stacks; piended slate roofs with projecting eaves. 2 and 12-pane glazing; some lattice pane glazing to rear. Interior: though the original stairwell, and possibly the stairs, survive, the remainder of the interior of the mansion dates from 1825, as does the cusped decorative cast-iron

staircase balustrade with polished wooden handrail.

1825 ground floor dining room and sitting room chimney pieces of polished sandstone. Panelled and beaded doors and shutters; moulded doorcases. 1st floor drawing room with decorative plaster cornice and central rose; chimney piece with cusped detailing; panelled and beaded window shutters and doors; moulded doorcases. Decorative plaster rose to stairwell ceiling.

Statement of Interest

Family home of MacLean of Ardgour, established at Coull (as site was called until 18th century) since 1542. Present house built 1765 by Hugh MacLean, 12th Earl of Ardgour, and reconstructed in 1825 after extensive fire damage by Hugh's son, Alexander, in 1825. Centre block is shell of

original house, which was gabled. 1765 mansion on site of former house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.