History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberarder House Original 17th Century House Now Rear Service Quarters/Caretaker's Dwelling

A Category B Listed Building in Aird and Loch Ness, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.2995 / 57°17'58"N

Longitude: -4.2909 / 4°17'27"W

OS Eastings: 262059

OS Northings: 825531

OS Grid: NH620255

Mapcode National: GBR H9SF.F6N

Mapcode Global: WH3G3.1SZJ

Entry Name: Aberarder House Original 17th Century House Now Rear Service Quarters/Caretaker's Dwelling

Listing Date: 17 April 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332406

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1697

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Daviot and Dunlichity

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Aird and Loch Ness

Parish: Daviot And Dunlichity

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Aberarder

Description

Mid-later 17th century, single-storey and attic rectangular

4-bay house (see NOTES).

OLD HOUSE: later 17th century, remodelled later 19th century; harled rubble, ashlar margins. Irregular fenestration, chamfered window margins; early 19th century tripartite in E gable; 4 later 19th century gabled dormers rise from wallhead; single similar dormer to rear; 4- and 12-pane glazing. 1 end and 1 large ridge stack with shaped copes. Small single storey wings advanced from E and W gables forming shallow U-plan court; formerly linked to later house by later 19th century corridor projecting from central entrance (see NOTES). Gabled and piended slate roofs.

Statement of Interest

Old house re-used from 1873, when Alexander Ross, architect, built a new 2/2 and a half storey house, and rear wings to the front (SE) of

the old house, thus creating an enclosed courtyard with the old

house (from the then service block) to the rear (NW). New house also linked to old by a pitched roof corridor link, extending from centre

bay of new house to old entrance bay on SE elevation of old house.

Old house again detached from new, and being restored, 1992 (link demolished to reveal original central doorpiece on SE elevation

of old house, with dated (1663) marriage lintel).

Aberarder was a former Mackintosh property.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.