This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.326 / 57°19'33"N
Longitude: -4.2262 / 4°13'34"W
OS Eastings: 266059
OS Northings: 828359
OS Grid: NH660283
Mapcode National: GBR H9YC.6WL
Mapcode Global: WH4H8.14T3
Entry Name: Croachy, Tomintoul House
Listing Date: 17 April 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332407
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1698
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Daviot and Dunlichity
Electoral Ward: Aird and Loch Ness
Parish: Daviot And Dunlichity
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
William Robertson, Architect, Elgin, 1841. Symmetrical 2-
storey house with wide 3-bay NE gabled entrance front,
symmetrical return gables and 2-storey, 2-bay rear wing.
Mid 20th century small addition in S re-entrant angle. All
harled with tooled ashlar margins. Centre door masked by
projecting gabled porch with 1861 datestone above shallow
segmental headed entrance with double leaf panelled door.
Outer bays with 2-storey window projection; tripartites in
ground floor, bipartites in 1st floor, the centre under
small stilted gablet. Pair similar bipartites in ground floor
north elevation of rear wing, with 1st floor windows under
similar gablets. Thick centre wooden mullions to all 2- and
3-light windows; similar detailing to all single windows.
Lying-pane glazing, margined in all larger windows. Paired
tapering and corncied ashlar stacks set diagonally on
facetted rectangular bases; similar single centre ridge
stack. Shallow pitched slate roof with projecting eaves;
plain bargeboards with pronounced blocked joist detailing;
wooden ridge finials to gables. Interior; curved centre rear
stair with simple cast-iron balusters. Plain ceiling moulded
cornices in ground floor public rooms.
Advertisement for tender for "Brin Cottage". House similar to
(now somewhat altered) Innismount, Aludearn, former school
and schoolmaster's house designed by William Robertson, also
in 1841. Porch at Tomintoul House probably dates from 1841
with later (1861) datestone and E.C.S.W for E.C. Sutherland
Walker, who purchased Brin Estate c.1860 and built Brin House
nearby, after which Brin Cottage was probably re-named
Tomintoul, the name under which it appears on 1st ed. OS.
Other nearby listed buildings