This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.3672 / 57°22'1"N
Longitude: -4.23 / 4°13'48"W
OS Eastings: 265975
OS Northings: 832944
OS Grid: NH659329
Mapcode National: GBR H9X7.YZ5
Mapcode Global: WH3FX.Z3V2
Entry Name: Dunlichity Parish Church of Scotland, Watch-House Mcgilleveray Burial Enclosure and Burial Ground
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332415
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1704
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Daviot and Dunlichity
Electoral Ward: Aird and Loch Ness
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Chruch; 1759, repaired 1826, and subsequently re-cast and re-
fitted internally. Simple rectangular church on site sloping
to E, building orientated E-W, with rubble burial enclosure
at E gable, probably outlining and possibly part of, former ecclesiastical building. All harled with ashlar dressings
(some chamfered ashlar margins masked by harl). Long S
elevation has 4 regular square windows and extra similar
window inserted in extreme SE (lighting Minister's room);
pair round-headed windows in west gable with leaded-pane
glazing. Entrance and single window (possibly former door) in
outer bays of rear (N) elevation; 9-pane glazing. Flat
skews; corniced end stack at W gable (blocked and supporting
small cross); slate roof.
Interior; re-fitted interior re-cast to E.
Burial enclosure at E gable; simple coped rubble walls with
various mural plaques to Shaw family of Tordarroch. Watch-
house; early 19th century, small single-bay, single-storey
with raised rectangular harl-pointed building with ashlar
dressings. On sloping site with entrance from road in SE
front; centre rear window and single window in NE return
gable; diminutive raised basement light. Flat skews; end
coped stack; slate roof. McGilleveray Burial enclosure;
square, high coped rubble walled enclosure; entrance in
centre, east front, faced with tooled rubble and with ashlar
piers (probably re-used) rising from upper part, projecting
above wallhead and terminating with corniced, stepped
pyramidal caps and urn finials. Various mural memorials.
Burial Ground. Rubble walled burial ground enclosure
irregular site, and abutting both watch-house and McGilleveray enclosure. Burial ground on sloping site and full of closely
packed tomb stones, some of 17th and 18th century date.
Building in ecclesiastical use as such. Dunlichity Church
built in late middle ages on site of early Christian
settlement dedicated to St Finan, c. 575. Present building
said to be the third on the site. Dunlichity Parish joined
with Daviot in 1618.
Other nearby listed buildings