This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5232 / 57°31'23"N
Longitude: -4.0109 / 4°0'39"W
OS Eastings: 279664
OS Northings: 849900
OS Grid: NH796499
Mapcode National: GBR J8GV.3FR
Mapcode Global: WH4GD.C58G
Entry Name: Croy Parish Church of Scotland, Watch-House and Burial Ground
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 332428
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1710
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Croy and Dalcross
Electoral Ward: Culloden and Ardersier
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Dated 1764, reparied 1829, with later 19th century internal
alterations and re-casting in style of John Robertson,
Rectangular church, harl pointed rubble with tooled ashlar
margins and dressings. Long symmetrical S elevation lit by 4
long pointed-headed windows with simple y-tracery and late
19th century leaded pane glazing. Round-headed off-centre
entrances in E and W gable, each with fanlight and each gable
with centre pointed-headed gallery window; original multi-
pane glazing with intersecting tracery in both fanlights and
windows; small datestone set above W gallery window. 2
diminutive rectangular gallery lights at wallhead in
extreme outer bays of rear elevation. Tooled angle margins;
birdcage bellcote at east gable apex and stone ball finial at
W; slate roof.
Interior; re-cast to E, late 19th century, gallery at W with
concave bowed front with cusped panelling. Cusped detailing
to braced ceiling; grained wood pulpit, pews, doors. Various
19th century mural monuments, mainly to Rose family of
Kilravock and Davidsons of Cantray. Watch-house: circa 1800,
simple small rectangular single storey building, harl pointed
rubble with tooled ashlar margins. Off-centre door in
elevation with diminutive wallhead vent above; pair bull's
eye vents in N elevation, flanking wallhead stack; single
similar bull's eye vent in centre S front. Simple blocked
eaves cornice; piended slate roof.
Burial ground: roughly coped drystone walled burial ground;
wall abuts and incorporates watch-house; 3 entrances, each
flanked with simple square tooled rubble gate piers.
Building in ecclesiastical use as such. Dated 17 TN 64.
Other nearby listed buildings