History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cawdor Village Cawdor Parish Church and Burial Ground

A Category A Listed Building in Cawdor, Highland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5249 / 57°31'29"N

Longitude: -3.9326 / 3°55'57"W

OS Eastings: 284361

OS Northings: 849947

OS Grid: NH843499

Mapcode National: GBR J8NT.WX5

Mapcode Global: WH4GF.K4K6

Entry Name: Cawdor Village Cawdor Parish Church and Burial Ground

Listing Date: 26 January 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332492

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1760

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cawdor

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Nairn and Cawdor

Traditional County: Nairnshire

Find accommodation in
Cawdor

Description

1619, enlarged 1830-31. Galleries, pews, A. & W. Reid, and
Wittet, Elgin, 1903. Cruciform church with tower incorporated
in south gable. Harl pointed rubble, ashlar dressings.
Entrance porch straddles SE re-entrant with moulded
pointed-headed arch supported by heavy corbelled engaged
columns. Further (1830-31) pointed-headed, hood-moulded
entrances in centre north, east and west gables with
similarly detailed gallery windows above and long Y-tracery
windows in each elevation. Hoodmoulded (1619) 3-light plate
traceried window in centre south gable with simple carved
decorative detailing to mullions. Square (1619) tower rises
above, with centre slit vents, unusually decorated corbel
table to crenellated wall walk above which rises later,
probably 1830, single stage square belfry with round-headed
louvred windows in each face, pyramidal slate roof and
weather cock.
Corniced stack at north gable apex, cross finials at east and
west; crowsteps; slate roof.
Interior; Minister's room and tower base fill south gable;
T-plan, interior, with N.E. and W aisles all galleried with
Gothic detailing to panelled fronts, and to pulpit, all
fittings 1903.
Burial ground; rubble walled enclosure with entrances in
north and south flanked by simple gate piers. 18th and 19th
century grave-stones.
Fine wrought-iron lantern, probably early 19th century,
mounted on wooden post, stands at junction of church paths to
south of building.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.