History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coul House Hotel Formerly Coul House

A Category A Listed Building in Contin, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5715 / 57°34'17"N

Longitude: -4.5724 / 4°34'20"W

OS Eastings: 246249

OS Northings: 856404

OS Grid: NH462564

Mapcode National: GBR H82Q.49P

Mapcode Global: WH3DL.QYVJ

Entry Name: Coul House Hotel Formerly Coul House

Listing Date: 25 March 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332501

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1769

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Contin

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Find accommodation in
Contin

Description

1821, additions Alexander Ross, 1860. Unusual villa of 1821
centred on 2 octagons, 1 to south of 2 storeys with 2-bay
wings. Sympathetically enlarged in 1860 in identical masonry
style. Now 2-storey, of varying heights, 7 bays with further
2-storey, 3-bay service wing to south gable Pinned rubble,
contrasting tooled and polished ashlar dressings and base
course.
West front; tall octagonal central core projects as
semi-octagon with octagonal piended roof; tall corniced
ground floor windows and small square windows in 1st floor on
3 faces, all with moulded architraves; flanking 2-storey
2-bay wings with original ground floor windows as octagon;
2nd floor either re-windowed or raised in 1860.
East entrance front; centre entrance in semi-octagonal porch,
leading to octagonal hall, with pedimented portice; supported
by painted Roman Doric columns; moulded eaves cornice and
shallow leaded roof. Porch flanked by slightly advanced
piended outer bays, to right (west) containing stairwell
(which appoears to date from 1821)
1860 2-storey, 2-bay extensions flank west front, extending
east to form outer wings. Tall flat-headed ground floor
windows, and segmental headed 1860 windows in 1st floor
(except front octagon); later 19th century rectangular bay
window at ground floor imediately right of centre octagon;
later 19th century 2-storey 3-bay gabled service wing to
south gable.
Some lying-pane glazing survives in ground floor windows;
multi-pane in 1st floor; square corniced end and ridge
stacks, single and in batteries of 2 and 4; shallow slated
roof with projecting eaves.
Interior; semi-octagonal pilastered entrance hall; octagonal
drawing room with ornate plaster ceiling with central roundel
decorated with acanthus leaves, key-patterened panels radiate
to cornice; original black marble chimney piece.
Flanking ground floor rooms (present dining room and bar)
again with central acanthus roundels and circular panels with
anthemion and palmette detailing to ceilings, moulded cornices
Simple side staircase with plain cast iron balustrade and
continuous polished wooden handrail; simple panelling with
moulded plaster dados; corniced ceiling to stair-well.

Statement of Interest

Former mansion of Mackenzies of Coul. In 1837 described as

handsome and commodious" and "surrounding grounds. tastefully

laid out, garden of ... superior style "An elegant mansion,

the seat of Sir George Mackenzie, Bart". (c. 1858). Precise

original Lay out difficult to ascertain without plan or

without documentation on 1860 alterations. South 2-storey,

3-bay service wing may be of 1860 date or slightly later;

appears on 1st edition OS of 1877.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.