History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle of Mey and Garden Walls

A Category A Listed Building in Canisbay, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 58.647 / 58°38'49"N

Longitude: -3.2245 / 3°13'28"W

OS Eastings: 329032

OS Northings: 973889

OS Grid: ND290738

Mapcode National: GBR L5DW.9MV

Mapcode Global: WH6CF.FXRH

Entry Name: Castle of Mey and Garden Walls

Listing Date: 13 April 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332540

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1797

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Canisbay

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Wick and East Caithness

Parish: Canisbay

Traditional County: Caithness

Find accommodation in
Mey

Description

Probably 1566-72, with various 17th, 18th, 19th and mid
20th century additions and alterations. 3-storey and attic.
3-bay centre block with 16th century projecting 5-storey
square tower at SE, and 2-storey, wide single bay crenellated
dining room wing at west gable with angle bartizans.
(c. 1954). SE tower with angle bartizans, crenellated
with modern glazing. 2 wings project at rear forming narrow
wallhead and regular later single bay fenestration in south
elevation. 1819 (William Burn, architect) Baronial porch,
with round-arched detailing, and entrance hall fill SW
with round-headed entrance with flanking round-headed
windows and double leaf doors, in projecting canted porch;
5-light arcaded window above entrance. 2-storey wing
projects at rear, forming with main castle elevation, 2
sides of high walled rear court, with round-headed entrance
under crenellated wallhead.
Piended dormers rise through wallhead; sash and case
window with multi-pane glazing; gun loops in south elevation
of centre block and in tower; coped end and ridge stacks;
slate roofs.

Statement of Interest

Property of H.M. The Queen Mother. Built by George, 4th

Earl of Caithness, and passed to his 2nd son, William, who

founded the line of Sinclair of Mey Name subsequently

changed to Barrogill Castle, but reverted to Castle of

Mey when purchased by H.M. The Queen Mother, c. 1953.

William Burn addition of 1819 largely removed during 195

alterations. Crest of H.M. The Queen Mother (carved by

Hew Lorimer, circa 1954) over 1st

floor dining room window at west.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.