History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilravock Castle, Dovecote and Garden Walls

A Category A Listed Building in Culloden and Ardersier, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5188 / 57°31'7"N

Longitude: -3.9816 / 3°58'53"W

OS Eastings: 281409

OS Northings: 849361

OS Grid: NH814493

Mapcode National: GBR J8JV.JWV

Mapcode Global: WH4GD.T86T

Entry Name: Kilravock Castle, Dovecote and Garden Walls

Listing Date: 26 January 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 332595

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1841

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Croy and Dalcross

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Culloden and Ardersier

Traditional County: Nairnshire

Find accommodation in
Cawdor

Description

A composite building dating from mid-15th to mid-20th
century, sited on steeply sloping, SE facing site. Rubble
tower and dovecote, remainder harled with ashlar margins and
dressings.
Large square rubble built keep, circa 1460, with corbelled
and crenellated wallwalk, angle bartizans, cap house and
square south angle turret, forms NE arm of U-plan entrance
court. Tower linked to long, SE facing 17th century range by
square 17th century stair tower with ground floor entrance
in NW (now masked from outside by service passage). Moulded
doorpiece, decorated with crude stars and rosettes, gives
onto square stair well rising 3 storeys.
17th century mansion of 3 storeys (ground vaulted), 6
irregular bays with angle and near centre projecting stair
turrets; 4 swept dormers rise through wallhead. Later wings
of 2 builds and varying height project at NW to complete rear
court; rear NW elevation has later 18th century centre
projecting stair compartment, with centre entrance masked by
small square projecting crenellated porch.
Small, sympathetic, 3-storey over basement single bay service
wing in SE angle. Further 2-storey, irregular 5-bay rubble
service range at NE linked to main dwelling by harled wall
with ashlar cope and segmental headed, margined entrance to
form service court.
Later 18th century Venetian window in SW elevation (drawing
room). Multi-pane glazing. Pair bee boles in base of mansion
in SE elevation. 2 mural sundials at angles of main SE
elevation.
Ridge and end stacks; crowsteps; slate roofs.
Interior; 15th century tower retains original plan form, with
mural wheel stair giving access to 4 floors and wallhead
walk. Modern chimney piece with carved quotation replaces
original in 1st floor hall, with corbelled and beamed
ceiling. 17th century range re-modelled and coved drawing
room ceiling with Adamesque chimney piece. Later 18th century
stair case with carved balusters, in north entrance wing and
entrance hall, which also contains re-sited ornate 1662
chimney piece (from 1st floor hall in old tower).
Dovecote; sited at south corner of castle to which it is
linked by section of former barmkin wall. 2-stage 15th/16th
century corner tower, with stone seated privy in ground floor
chamber and pigeon loft above, with door and small square
flanking pitching-eye, formerly fitted with iron yett. 19th
century shallow pyramidal slate roof, raised at centre to
accommodate flight holes.
Garden Walls; rubble garden wall with dressed stone cope and
segmental headed arched entrance, possibly incorporating
sections of earlier castle barmkin, fronting 19th century
walled garden.

Statement of Interest

Lands of Kilravock acquired by Hugh Rose of Geddes in 13th

century and in same family ever since. Keep thought to date

from circa 1460, when the Baron of Kilravock obtained a

licence from Lord of the Isles to build defensive tower. By

tradition an earlier building, cell or chapel was sited where

the abvesite now stands. Prince Charles Edward dined at

Kilravock before Battle of Culloden, and Duke of Cumberland

visited castle soon afterwards. Robert Burns visited Sept 6,

1787.

Entrance hall re-sited chimney piece dated 1662, initialled

HR and MI for Hugh Rose and Margaret Innes, married that

year. 1631 datestone at NW corner of house, inscribed NON EST

SALUS NISI IN CHRISTO and initialled WR, came from Old Nairn

Bridge in Nairn, built by Provost William Rose.

Pigeon loft only accessible by ladder; pitching eye for

ejection of pigeon manure.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.